Recommendations for family friendly township or suburb in Edinburgh

Hello everyone,

My name is Mei and my family and I are potentially moving to Edinburgh via sponsorship from my employer who have an office in Edinburgh. We're moving from New Zealand and had chosen Edinburgh instead of other options of London and Leeds, because I think adjusting to Scotland will not be as big of a culture shock for the family with its slower pace and population size.

I was hoping to find some information about which township/suburb would be recommended for a family with 2 primary school aged children? I don't mind having to travel into the city for work, but am keen to find a safe area, with fairly modern infrastructure or at least houses, and most importantly, good schools.

Any recommendation from anyone would be welcomed, and any experience from anyone from NZ/Australia moving to Scotland would be great too! 

Thanks
Mei

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The majority of people in Scotland live in a belt that stretches between Glasgow and Edinburgh; on the whole, outside of that, it's a pretty sparse, but beautiful country.

If you chose to live in that belt, then schools, public transport, civilisation, in general, is of high quality and there are plenty to choose from; the Scottish education system is highly rated; the further into the lesser populated regions, the less there is.

The Numbeo website offers lots of social information you can use to research your move; this link will take you there.