The must-try activities in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Moving to the Philippines is an exciting opportunity to discover a new culture and try things you might not even have heard of before. To make sure other expats and expats-to-be do not miss a thing, would you be able to answer the following questions on activities not-to-be-missed in the Philippines?

What are the activities everyone must try at least once in the Philippines?

What are the activities that one should partake in if they want to discover the local culture?

Are there any activities that are characteristic of the Philippines?

Do you have an anecdote to share about any of the activities listed above?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I'm looking at changing my location to a smaller less populated province close to the ocean, the key is water, I'm not attracted to tourist areas because there so many nice places that are hidden treasures and I wouldn't want it contaminated by a bunch of tourists

Did you live in Dumaguete before, Gordon? If so, jumping on a bike and touring might help. When I was so doing, Ormoc, Lipa City, Legaspi all showed promise, but one never gets free from tourists unless go to a small island and even then. I knew a German married to a filipina who lived/lives on Cujo Island west of Mindoro, and went fishing with his father-in-law, etc. in a very laid-back freeing lifestyle. ???

Taking 2-5 years to thoroughly tour the islands on motor will help anyone scout out the country and peoples. From there you likely will discover the size of community that suits you, and the place(s) where you'd like to live. Finding a community that's freeing, not plugged with expats, and then a living space with honourable landlords is a huge challenge. Retreating to expat compounds where Germans, Americans or Aussies have built nice premises often is a last resort.
With over 12 years after having toured and lived in many places in the Phils, I can safely say that your temperament and lifestyle desires play bigtime into how much you will enjoy it here. If noise is a challenge to you, finding a relatively quiet space is a challenge in strictly pinoy communities, but with some funds you may be able to find a place that's not plagued with roosters, stray dogs, cats, goats and cattle, or with loud motorbikes and other noisy traffic, or with the karaoke 'boom-boom' that can drive one silly.
I think the best advice is to tour around on the ground, stay clear of western resorts that buffer you from the worst of evening burning, noise and such but insulate you from the flavour of this culture, find good restaurants (the best are still expat or in the largest centers), get a basic grasp of the dialect where you live (I can converse some in Tagalog, Visayan/Cebuano, and now Illongo), and live the simple life.
If you are male looking for a good partner, stay free from bars, and look around online and in a few communities where there are plenty of wonderful filipinas. Because of the poverty here, it's likely you will represent a rescue package, but that's not totally unusual in any culture where it's the man's role to provide and protect the women and any kids that come along. A good pinay will look after her man with loving care if he has a good and generous heart. Of course challenges face us in any situation, but many can be ridden out if have lots in common re. lifestyle, etc.
Coming down from developed world cultures where personal space, stimulating conversation, and respectful living is honoured often is not here, but your personality and what you can tolerate is a key factor.
Not sure if this helps anyone, but all expressed here has been my experience.

Questions such as this invoke rethinking of past experiences and learning from errors and successes and wish i had done this or not done that.

Numero Uno, IF YOU are very willing to compromise (that means in some cases willing to abandon your culture)  understanding, willing respect someone more than yourself, and learn the local language then marry for life a wonderful Pinay wife.  It is not difficult to find someone uncontaminated with modern ideas of what a female is (which is less estrogene and more testoterone than a weightlifter with narcisim to match), and lives traditionally for her family.  That is immersion in the culture and the only way you will experience the real Philippines.  Expat communities may provide some help in navigating the legalities however it must end there.  You must also realize the government is not here to help you and is not your friend. 

Food, Family, Karaoke. repeat as many times a day as you can, add adventuring activities upon occasion again including family.  Willing to accept lots of noise, others karaoke, motorcycles, fighting roosters.... Resorts are the same here as anywhere else, the local flavor is just a thin veneer over the same old thing.  It is not where you are so much as who you are with.

Loving life in the provinces of the Philippines

The Philippines still has many unspoiled places with beaches, jungle, waterfalls, mountains and wild rivers. If you love adventure there is no other place like it.

Snorkeling and other water adventures are at the top of my list with so many beaches and islands. I have been to many unspoiled beaches where the water is very clear and the coral and fish populations are still healthy. Often you ride a native banca boat with outriggers to get to another little island or special spot, haha. Some of my favorite places are Bantayan Island, Panglao, Moalboal and Palawan, but there are many others as you can imagine, with so many islands. I'm not into scuba but the divers seem to like Moalboal, Malapascua, and Dauin (Apo Island). There are large banca boats that run out of many resorts.

There are also several unbelievable zip lines that that cross river canyons and are world class.. we're talking hundreds of meters high, and not for the faint of heart. On the island of Bohol start with Loboc River, and if you can handle that one, the supreme challenge is the Sui-Slide at Danao Adventure Park, which is more than 200 meters high. I can handle zip lines that go "through the treetops"  but I could barely look over the edge of the cliff at Danao without getting flip-flops in my stomach. Yikes.. the river below looks like a thread, but my girlfriend did it. In my experience, Filipinos really love adventure.

River kayaking and mountain biking are also popular adventure sports in the Philippines.  Really, for those who love adventure it offers so much, and it is not expensive to do these things.

I myself have visited the Philippines three times now and not yet tried white water rafting or zip lines but I do intend to try next time I visit.

Because I was in CDO I did visit Tinago falls near Illigan City and the falls and crystal clear waters make this an ideal place to swim and spend the day. There are two bamboo rafts you can pay a small amount of money for to be taken towards the actual waterfalls so you can feel the power of the falls. I was told before going that there are 365 steps to descend before reaching the falls and so obviously you must climb back up after your visit. This proved to be enough exercise for me for the day and I counted 414 steps. It really is a beautiful place to spend a relaxing day, swimming by the falls and having lunch.

Hello Priscilla, Yes I would be interested in finding out the answers myself. I'll be moving to Cebu Philippines next month and exciting to learn about the culture and activities there anyone with information please feel fee to let me know.

Ray Patterson