New Tourist VISA change for US citizens

As of June 17 US citizens can come to Brazil without a VISA.  Still good for 90 days up to 180 days. But not sure if you want to come back you need to stay out for 180 days. If anyone can add to this thanks.

Not sure why you would need to stay out 180 days? That is not even the case now. You just need to leave to any other country and come back. Alternatively, you can apply for an extension of your stay. It is nicely explained online somewhere in this forum. We paid the fee (relatively inexpensive) and took receipt plus completed forms to the correct Federal policy office; we did this in Cuiaba where we are living, and it was very smooth and easy. Got the extension same day and only waited 5 minutes.

Effective June 17, 2019, citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia and Japan will be able to travel to Brazil without a visa. The measure benefits holders of a valid passport traveling for tourism, business, artistic or sports activities. The initiative also covers travelers transiting through Brazil. Visitors will be granted a stay of up to 90 days, with the possibility of an extension for the same period.

When I lived in Brazil, the rule was if you got an extension to your 90 day visa THEN you had to leave and could not come back for 180 days. However, If you left before the 90 days, then you could immediately re-enter for another 90 days. I know this was correct because I had to do it.

The US Embassy in Brasília issued this guidance yesterday.   People planning to visit Brazil should check the website shown in the message for details and requirements:

" The Brazilian government announced that effective June 17, 2019, a visitor visa (electronic or paper) will not be required for U.S. citizens to travel to Brazil for the purposes of tourism, business, transit and artistic and sportive activities, for stays of up to 90 days.

If you intend to travel to Brazil under these purposes before June 17, 2019, you will still need to obtain a visitor visa as per current requirements for U.S. citizens traveling to Brazil.

If you have questions, please contact the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (http://www.portalconsular.itamaraty.gov … -ao-brasil).

Best Regards,

American Citizen Services

U.S. Embassy – Brasilia "