Right hand drive vechicle

Hello everyone
Would anyone know if it's possible to bring a Right Hand Drive vehicle into Portugal when emigrating?
Is there a law preventing the registration of such vehicles?
WimKay

Yes, it is possible.

If you plan on moving to Portugal and make it your permanent residence, you can import your vehicle. If you are 18 and have been the owner of the car for over 12 months, you can apply for a tax exemption request at the Portuguese Customs Office within six months of the transfer of residence.

For those staying in Portugal on a temporary basis, there is a way to avoid paying the vehicle import tax for up to 90 days or for 183 each year if:

The vehicle is registered in another EU member state.
The registered owner is not a resident or employed in Portugal.
The owner is the one importing the car themselves.
This is ideal for expats who only spend part of the year in Portugal and want to bring their car with them.

For more detailed information about importing your car into Portugal, please check with the Portuguese Embassy in your country.

Hello SimCityAt
That's great news
Thanks for the detailed answer!
WimKay

Is it still possible to register a right hand drive vehicle in Portugal? Thanks!

Is it still possible to register a right hand drive vehicle in Portugal? Thanks!
-@oszkari

Yes, but the import costs and paperwork makes its pointless.

How will you manage thru drive thru and pay tolls

How will you manage thru drive thru and pay tolls
-@aimof

Going through Tolls is easy enough.

@SimCityAT

Is it any different registering a RHD to a LHD ? Im trying to understand if the cost of paperwork you are referring to are RHD specific or you are talking in general.

@oszkari There is little difference. You do need to get your vehicle headlights adjusted. I matriculated my Irish RHD car here in 2021. No import fee as I got an exemption since I own the car for years. Found it easy enough to drive on the other side of the road and use the toll roads using a transponder.

Rare and minor issues encountered:

1. Taking the car park ticket in Faro airport Arrivals car park where I need to get out of the car to take it out of the machine. It's ok with exiting as it is reading the car reg and opens the barrier automatically.
  2. If parking in the direction of traffic and tight against the wall, I will need to get out from passenger seat.
  3. Takes slightly longer to overtake if behind a tall car / van / lorry, ensuring I can see the incoming traffic properly.
  4. The occasional drive-thru order (twice in 2 years).

Taking the car park ticket in Faro airport Arrivals car park where I need to get out of the car to take it out of the machine.

-@msunario

Why not use Via Verde identifier? ...

https://www.viaverde.pt/particulares

@msunario

Appreciate all the info!  I have been driving for 10+ years on the "wrong" side, so almost feels unnatural to go through a drive thru the easy way:)

Do you know if there is any difference in the process for cars that are currently non EU registered?

Hello Sir

yes it's possible , get back to us for more details .

@william45ham

Hi.

I'm interested in taking my UK reg car to Portugal and registering it there.

Any help appreciated

Graham Johnson