Buying a car in France and import it in Portugal

Hello everyone,

Last topic about this has more than 3 years so I was curious if there are any changes, restrictions or anything that could help me take my decision.
I am living in the country side near Lagos, (Odiáxere) and renting a car a the moment for 240€ per month will full insurance included..
I went through the process of finding a second hand car SUV , but most of them affordable around 3/5000€ are sold after 200000km. It is very expensive here compared to the French market (the only one I know..) I am afraid to spend my money on reparations in a long run..
So I was thinking of buying a car in France and import it in Algarve and see if the taxes are worth it but doesn't seem the case when I read the previous post .. I don't have the plan to buy a house this next coming year, I am expecting a baby for this summer and for now only a safe and affordable car would be great!! In fact I am not even sure I will stay in Portugal for a living in the next 2 years.
I have my residancy and NIF since September.
I'll appreciate any recommandation, or just discussing with like minded fellows about that :)
Best

Hi do you mind me asking where you rent your car from? I'm looking for affordable car rental

I would also like to know where you are renting a car 🙂. Have you looked into buying in Spain?

Lorie

I rent a car every month for around half that cost.
In fact, tomorrow, I take back my rental car that I have had since 15 November, and take another one until 09 January.
The cost of last month was £120 (Pounds Sterling), this month is £100.12.
I rent through Holidayautos.com. There is an App from Playstore too.
I am in Albufeira so I need to return and pick up to/from Faro Airport each month.
Their website allows you to choose other locations.
My stay in Portugal is usually only 6 months per year.  Dec-June.
The costs do increase after March , maybe even up to 200Euro a month but I do not NEED a car in town so I don't rent if too expensive.
If you book more than 28-30 days a time then your prices go far higher.
I do not take the Intercity-Motorway option and although I have insurance included, I do not take the Waiver option which is very expensive
Cover for annual waver insurance is very cheap if you buy online.  I think I pay around ,£50 a year for that annual cover and I recommend doing that in case of small accidents as company will retain your 900-1200 Euro deposit.
Hope this is helpful to some
If there is a lesser cost to rental or car ownership then please let me know....

Wow!  Thanks for the tips... that is a really good price.  🙂

I am Scots.
There's the clue... 🤣👍