Selling a car in Portugal

I would be very interested to find out how I would go about selling my car (Portuguese plates) to somebody in Portugal. I now that there are websites and how these work, but I would be interested to read what the proper process is such that the car moves safely from me to the new owner. Maybe JohnnyPT has done this before and could share his knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Tom,

Or you put your car for sale on a second-hand car portal, and in that case, it is you who finds a buyer. And then you go to a car registry office ("conservatória do registo automóvel"), together with the buyer, where the change of ownership is done,

Or why not, put your car on consignment ("colocar carro à consignação") at a car dealer. Not all of them accept that kind of business. You may have to wait a few months for the dealer to find a buyer. The car dealer will agree a price with you, and then he will try to sell it for a higher price. You will earn less than if you get a buyer yourself, but the car dealer does everything for you and you will have less boring work to do.

Many stands do not want this business. They prefer to buy your car much cheaper, or they are not interested at all, as they prefer to import second hand cars, and sell them in Portugal, with new plates .........

Best Regards

@JohnnyPT Many thanks. I have stored your reply in my files.

Is a car sale from private to private usually a cash transaction? I.e. the moment the car is signed over, a pack of cash (or a bank check) is handed from buyer to seller.

Normally, when you leave your car at the car dealer, a contract is signed between you and the dealer, with the agreed value. There is no commitment from either party, you can withdraw from the sale of the car whenever you want.

When the car dealer finds a buyer for the car, the dealer goes to the registration office with the car documents (*) , he makes a bank transfer to your bank account, and you sign a document stating that you have received the money in your account.

(*) The registration of the car at the vehicle registration office is done by the car dealer, or by the dealer + credit company (if the buyer needs a credit). This is done before you receive the money in your account. Normally, for this to happen, you fill out the papers at the stand, you do not contact the buyer. Your signature in that document to deliver to the registration office ( = Registo de Propriedade Automóvel), must be recognised, for example by a solicitor or lawyer. The car dealer is a transaction intermediary with a variable fee (value paid by the buyer - value you receive)

Impresso para Registo de Propriedade Automóvel a entregar na Conservatória do Registo Automóvel:

https://www.direitoatudo.com/s/formular … l_BASE.pdf

Or

https://irn.justica.gov.pt/Portals/33/I … l_2022.pdf

(Latest version)

(PDF docs)

Most of the cars sold in Portugal are imported cars? Second Question is that does imported cars have a bit of lesser price as compared to Portuguese cars?

Many second-hand cars are imported from other EU countries. All of them must have the COC/CoC (Certificate Of Conformity), which is a declaration issued by the manufacturer that the product complies with all the legislation and rules applicable in the EU. Those cars that are on sale already have the new Portuguese licence plate.

Of course, there are also many portuguese second-hand cars. The price is calculated on how old the car is, how many kilometres it has and the condition of the car. It has nothing to do with whether the second hand car is imported or not.

Hi there,

Would there be a translated version of the Conservatória do Registo form?

Thank you

RB

@rohealy,

I don't think so...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou … eJCWQVov7j

Download it and then upload here:

___

You can translate PDF/DOC formats into English using a Doctranslator, such as:

https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com

@nz7521137 I am interested  in buying yur second hand Portuguese numbered car. I am a newley emigrated expat in Algarve. How do we get in touch witheach other. Billy