Accommodation in Thailand: scams you should look out for

Hi,

Committing to renting or buying accommodation when you're new to or have not moved to Thailand just yet is always a stressful endeavour. Would you like to help us in putting together a handbook of what to look out for when house hunting in Thailand?

What are the most common scams in Thailand?

What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?

Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in Thailand?

What authorities should be sought should one come across an accommodation scam?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I was in Real Estate . Scams when renting?Only heard of one incident when someone was taking deposits and vanishing but he was very quickly caught. It is very unusual and you would need to be very unlucky to come across a scam when renting

You go you look you say yes and pay only a booking fee until you are face to face with the owner or spoken to them. If your agent is a freelance ask the Juristic person if they know him. When he takes a booking fee he should ask for a copy of your passport signed and you his ID signed.

There is no register some have tried but failed miserably.

Most agent stick to the rules 3% commission on Condo 5 or 6% on house sales paid by the seller.

Some owner are happy to allow agents to top up by any amount if they want 5 million and the agent gets 6 million and gets 3% plus 1 million they don't care. It may not be ethical but if for example you found out a salesman did this and you went to the police they would simply tell you it is legal as  a salesman is there to sell for as much as he can and if you agree to pay end of story. It's no different than fools who buy emeralds and find out later they a paid too much.

Someone runs off with your deposit that's a different story. A lawyer once told me they can expect about 7 years if misappropriating condominium funds

The way round that is simple. You want to buy a 2 bedroom in xyz condominium your agent has told you 5 million then google the condo and check what others have paid.

Don't think looking yourself will save you money. Most owners don't advertise themselves and most juristic persons get commission if they sell. If there is a sales office then they are getting commission.

Even if a Thai friend says they can help they are probably getting half the commission.

My advice. When looking unless you have been here along time and know BKK well get an agent. You will miss out all the rubbish and find a place in 1/4 of the time.

The problem when buy is prices in Bangkok have gone crazy. In 2005 the average price was 35,000 per sq m and only a couple of place like the high class Som Kid Gardens were regarded as expensive at around 90,000 baht per sqm. Now 200 to 300,000 baht per sqm is commonplace.

Building is much cheaper but even our charges have also risen sharply 8,00 to 12,,000 baht per sqm  in 2005 the latter being for western standards. Now 15,000 baht to 22,000 baht this year and profit margins have dropped.

Buying a house in Bangkok in some of these estates is where people really do get conned through lack of knowledge. There are houses being sold at over 50,000 baht per sqm you could build for 15,000 baht per sqm.  Granted land prices have a say but not to that extent these companies are raking the money in.

The worst example I saw was on Youtube. A farang and his Thai wife who were obviously not buyers but a plant were praising this house.  Wasn't a bad house but they gave a price of 5.6 million on 80 sq wah. I looked up the site and the houses in the estate were actually 4.6 million on 60 sq wah.

Do the sums. There are 400sq wah in 1 rai so 400/20  = 20 multiply by 1 million = 20 million baht for a rai . The guy who priced that up for the company deserves a rise.

However the odds say you are more like to be run over by a buffalo than be scammed in real estate if you keep your wits about you.

Hi, I have heard a lot about people getting scammed and cheated in Thailand. My first trip to Thailand was 1989 and there have been dozens of trips and long stays since then. I was finally able to move here permanently two years ago and bought two new central condos with a great view in a high-rise 2017-18 through a presale with Pruksa. We paid 85000THB/m2. To be honest, during these 30 years  I have been coming to Thailand I have never really been scammed or stolen of anything despite of being out there and having made many new friends, sometimes after a few beers. (Although some taxis have taken a long way...not many though) I do my best not to be a target and turn my back directly when I'm asked to invest in a farang project and walk away from anything that is very "salesy" or too good to be true. I❤️BKK.

Just when I was going to ask you to invest in a building project  :lol: Joking

Funny sort of scam happened right in front of my boyfriend and I between soi 7 and 5 on Sukhumvit.

This guy we thought was crazy was down on his knees trying to take the elderly man's shoe off which stopped everyone around in their tracks and we can hardly move.

Suddenly the crazy guy springs up and runs and 3 or 4 others also run from the scene , some run across the road other go in different direction on the footpath.

While the man has been concentrating on  trying to kick the guy away from his feet with bodies all around the others have surrounded and robbed him. Wallet camera phone and even took his cigarettes.

Some Thai on a stall screamed Cambodia Cambodia. Every year they come from Cambodia stealing phones from people partying but they wouldn't know how to scam they are just street thieves

Haha, you are funny. Seriously though, since you have been in real estate, I have friends looking for new, small (26-50m2), not too expensive (under 120000THB/m2), condos in Bangkok. Preferably high up and with a view. Closeness to BTS/Metro or Airport Link Station is a must. If you have (are) a contact please let me know. Do you know of any interesting projects?

Tips for big city travel. Keep your mobile and wallet in one pocket and keep your hand on it if there are other people near you. Be careful with sticking your hand out with your mobile near a busy street. Never wear diamonds or gold/jade jewelry in public. If the dancing floor is packed keep your money and phone safe or in a hidden bag that is inside your pants. If you meet strangers don't leave valuables unattended - keep them in a locked bag or safe.

I have taken several trips to Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia... knock on wood ... never, ever,  has my stuff been stolen. Even though when scuba diving we have to leave everything on the boat in a back bag. 

The worst place I have ever been to is Tunisia, Hammamet. When I put my hand in my pocket there was already a hand in there ... haha. Merchants tried to rob one blind. A cup of mint tea at a carpet shop made me sleep for 12 hours. I had to chain my wallet to my belt and stick in my underwear. My most vivid memory of horror was when a little girl who served my coffee accidentally charged me as if I was local - a lower price - she was slapped in the face by dad/uncle who was running the cafe. I had to oil my arms with sun OIL so that the assholes weren't able to pull me into the shops or stop me from leaving.

We are involved in house construction and design these days and only get involved in land sales for people looking to build.

However I know 2 very good agents who know Bangkok well and are English speaking. One has been here for over 20 years

I will dig out their numbers for you

EDITED

Very simple  answer. on Thailand if your farang only rent from a reputable agent to be 100% safe. Renting from a Thai owner without a Thai wife is asking for trouble.

Are you speaking from experience?  :D

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct