The Expat Coefficient

Having recently purchased my small retirement home near the Silver Coast, what I am finding is that estimates for plumbers, electricians and small building works becomes ludicrous when they know you are an Expat.

What I am learning is that you have to be extra patient and obtain several quotes before you instruct work and try to see other work they have done or even get references.

The Expat Coefficient can be costly if careful steps are not taken.

I think it may be useful to have a recommended directory in some format, but I will be more than happy to put peoples names forward who I have found reasonable and reliable if anyone would like to get in touch. Clearly, this forum is all about sharing experiences.

Regards,

Michael

At the top of the page click on Services. That will bring down a drop box. Click on View All Services That will give you the business directory.

I hope this is of help to you Michael.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

I have a friend who is a lawyer. Her name is Bella Peres Cardoso. Add her to your list because her rates are terrific.

SimCityAT wrote:

At the top of the page click on Services. That will bring down a drop box. Click on View All Services That will give you the business directory.

I hope this is of help to you Michael.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Michael

Hello Michael
I am about to undertake a large construction project in Vila do Conde and I'm also new to Portugal.
I think any new immigrant must be wary of being overcharged no matter the country. Most probably the best solution is personal recommendations plus getting a number of quotes ?
And going about it slowly?
Any contacts you have made would be greatly appreciated!
Wim

Evohouse Pombal. If you haven't started they built our house which we love in 8 months, using modern steel frame building techniques.
Honest everything priced up front so you know what you are paying.

Thank You !
Will definitely contact them for a quote

Thanks, that is very useful.

Regards,

Michael