Question about Student Visa

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in Fortaleza, Brazil on a tourist visa. I wish to apply for a student visa to study Portuguese, so I can live here longer term. I found a private school that will provide me with at the number of class hours required for me to apply for a student visa at  the consulate in Canada.

The obstacle I have run into is that I have been unable to acquire some kind of confirmation from the consulate in Canada about whether or not this school will be accepted in the application process. I've tried communicating with them, but they just don't have an answer for the question.

Does anyone have suggestions how I can get this information? Does Brazil have some specific requirement for the type of school it must be?

You´re only trying to learn a new language and there should be no strict requirements to grant you a student visa. Have you e-mailed them? You can call them through Skype if you have your computer with you. You can also access their consulate site to see if there´s any special requirements regarding
schools in Brazil.

Just Google their Canadian office to find their phone number...

robal

On the second thought there was a case if I remember correctly, where an American girl
applied for a student visa at a Policia Federal´s office in Brazil. She had to send her fingerprints taken here to the United States for police clearance.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I emailed the consulate, but they didn't have an answer for this question. They simply stated the general rules, which don't contain any information on the type of school required.

Fifthhouse,

My understanding from previous research is that as long as it is a registered school with a CNPJ number and they are able to offer you the Portuguese course with the required number of hours per week for the duration of the visa you are applying for,  you have paid for the course in full and have proof of payment as well as the letter from the school confirming all of the above you should be ok.

Ikex

fifthhouse wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes I emailed the consulate, but they didn't have an answer for this question. They simply stated the general rules, which don't contain any information on the type of school required.

It does imply that the school type or requirement is not very stringent. I would go to a local Policia Federal office and ask their requirements and a possible local application!

robal

Fifthhouse,

My understanding from previous research is that as long as it is a registered school with a CNPJ number and they are able to offer you the Portuguese course with the required number of hours per week for the duration of the visa you are applying for,  you have paid for the course in full and have proof of payment as well as the letter from the school confirming all of the above you should be ok.

Ikex

Ikex: I like this reply, and the more I read the more I'm inclined to think this is the case. Thanks for your help.

robal wrote:
fifthhouse wrote:

It does imply that the school type or requirement is not very stringent. I would go to a local Policia Federal office and ask their requirements and a possible local application!

robal

Good suggestion, I was thinking the same thing and am planning to make the trip soon.