Leather vs fabric sofa / armchairs

I'm refurbishing a sitting room at the moment and trying to decide if it's best to go for leather sofa and armchairs or washable fabric ones.

I've never had leather furniture before - are there special considerations or treatments needed?

Which wears better?

Thank you!

It is a matter of taste and budget. Please do not buy inexpensive leather.

Me like both. But leather is easier to keep clean but can be hot to sit on. I had leather in car but get tired of it after so many years and went back to cloth. But I end of buying vinyl seat covers as I started realize how hard to clean the cloth as I am a landscaper.  Remember being told get covers. As hard to clean.  For anything messy best get covers. But leather is expensive as comes from animal skins. Plus may feel little bad where leather comes from. If leather kept inside it's better. Like if ever sat on leather in car on a summer day. Reason I had a cloth sheet. In a home totally different. That's always a hard choice when like both. But should match. Or I think buy one of each.

There are differences with durability with both. I had both types. Leather more stain resistant.

If you have a dog, you might want to avoid leather. I've seen dog claws put  scratches and even gouges in the leather. Leather wears very well, but if you're going to be in a very hot climate, it may not be as comfortable to lie on as fabric on extremely hot days if you don't have air conditioning.
I would put money into a good quality sofa regardless of the fabric you decide on because inexpensive ones don't look good after a few years and you'll end up buying another one many years sooner than if you bought a good one in the first place. The comfort factor is also much better in good quality sofas, both in the short term and the long term.

Fashavian wrote:

I'm refurbishing a sitting room at the moment and trying to decide if it's best to go for leather sofa and armchairs or washable fabric ones.

I've never had leather furniture before - are there special considerations or treatments needed?

Which wears better?

Thank you!

Leather will generally outlast fabric at a rate of 4 to 1. So if a fabric unit needs re-upholstery in ten years, the leather will be good to forty years. Leather will cost more at the outset, but over the lifespan of the piece it more economical for years of useful life.

I have found this to be true for most applications, provided you do not place the leather pieces in direct sunlight and follow the cleaning/conditioning protocols every 6 months.

actually, this is depend on many factors, like your taste and budget.

I think I can give you some information that you can pick one depend on your own.

1. comfort
the fabric pieces are more comfortable, leather absorbs heat faster than fabric. The same is with leather furniture, it will feel warm after sitting on it for a while.

2. Maintenance
Depending on the quality of the material, fabrics have different lifespans in terms of wear and tear. Of course, higher quality materials usually last longer, as many probably come with a stain-resistant finish that makes it easy to wipe off any unfortunate stains. Plus, fabric cleaning products are widely offered and affordable, or simply take care of spills with a handled steam cleaner or with a sponge and soap. But! If the fabric is not of premium quality, removing stains might prove tough. In this case, leather might be a better solution.
On the other hand, leather sofas are more vulnerable to scratches and humidity than the fabric pieces - making them not-so pet-friendly. While it's worth mentioning that leather is very easy to clean, mostly requiring light dusting and vacuuming, you may want to consider investing in leather softening or polishing products to keep it from forming cracks.

3. Colour Durability
colours tend to fade out very quickly in time. It can be due to the excessive use of the sofa, frequent washing, or the fact that it simply fades out with age. On the contrary, leather's colour palette is more lasting - but only if you don't mind the slight sheen that comes with the material.

4. Appearance
A leather sofa, with its sleek and classic appearance, adds a certain elegance to the room. You can hardly achieve the same effect with fabrics. Fabric sofas are available in many hues and designs and tend to add to a contemporary vibe to a home.

5. Safety
The leather sofas are hypoallergenic, which makes them appropriate for people with allergies. Unlike fabric, leather doesn't accumulate dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens easily. In the case of allergies, you need to turn professional cleaning or take care of the furniture regularly. With the leather sofa, you will save effort, money and time.