Living cost for shanghai

Dear Friends,

I got post-doctoral fellowship program with 10000 RMB/month in Center for Public Health Core Laboratories, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, 227 South Chongqing Road, Shanghai, China.

It is enough for a single person to stay. 

How much I will spend on room rent? nearby university?

How much I will spend on food ?.  If it's possible to save money.

Please give me a valuable suggestion.

Hi, 10000 RMB/ month  is not a small money. It's enough to live in Shanghai for single person.

Room rent could be 3000-6000 RMB/ month, it depends. If you have roommates with you, it could be lower.

You may spend 3000 RMB on food per month. I think it's enough for single person.

So, if you make the best of your living expenses, you may save 2000-3000 per month without a part-time job.

All above is for your reference.

I would agree with @Longchen P.

Please keep in mind that Shanghai is a expensive Western city. If you want to live the "high life" you will burn through your money quickly. You need a budget and need to stick to that budget. Cooking for yourself will be amazingly cheap. You will be surprised. But, stay away from imported foods and pickled artichoke hearts if you can avoid them. Try to eat like a native.

One cup of coffee at Starbucks can equal a huge (huge!) home cooked meal.

I would suggest you share an apartment or work with your sponsor to provide you with cheap or reduced housing. That will make your life so much easier.

Aside from that, welcome to China. You will do good, and yes you can live on that amount.

Thank you very much, friends.

When I moved to Shanghai, I acted according to this method. Of course, after some time I moved to another place, in order to save strength and finances. I realized that I need silence for work, so I had to go further from the center, but from this I only won :)