Moving to Vietnam with pet birds

Hi guys!

Did someone of you move to Vietnam with pet birds?

We planning to move to Ho Chi Minh City soon in near future and bring with us our beloved pets.
2 dogs and 2 parrots (Senegal Parrot and Cockatiel). Both bred and hatched in the U.S. (where we currently live).

The dogs are not a concern. The birds are.... Made a research and couldn't found any regulations and requirements regarding  importing the birds :-(.

Contacted Saigon Pet Hospital and asked for advice and they said, they can help us with importing dogs but not the birds - that government is very strict because of the bird flu. They recommended to contact Ministry of Agriculture.

Before I do so, I was wondering if any of you have brought the pet bird to Vietnam and can share with me the experience and what all is needed (health certificate, mocrochip, any vaccinations)?

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Svetlana

Sorry, I'm of no help to you about bringing your birds, but can you explain the process of importing your dogs? I'm planning to retire in 5-6 years and was curious about bringing dogs to Vietnam.

Appreciate any info!

Hi,

Lucky you! It's a very beautiful place for retirement :-)!
I made some digging and found this info regarding dogs:

https://www.vietnamonline.com/planning/ … etnam.html

One of the Expats recommended also to contact Saigon Pet Clinic www.saigonpet.com - DR. Nghia (excellent rating from other Expats) and ask for information.
You can email them: [email protected]

I contacted them yesterday and they confirmed they can help us with importing dogs to Vietnam :-).

Those are definitely good news. Haven't gotten far yet since trying to get some info regarding Birds.

Hope this helps you :-)!

Lana

Thank you very much for the info! I hope you get some info for your birds!

Hi there, did you finally import the bird to Vietnam successfully?

Hi  Stephen,

Unfortunately no. It was not possible, due to the government restriction.

@Lana Tulo

Hello, may I ask you why it wasn't possible to take your birds to Vietnam? I'm planning to relocate to Vietnam with my two African grey parrots, both with all necessary CITES documentation. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to take them into Vietnam?

@Lana Tulo
Hello, may I ask you why it wasn't possible to take your birds to Vietnam? I'm planning to relocate to Vietnam with my two African grey parrots, both with all necessary CITES documentation. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to take them into Vietnam?

-@dollfish

Hi  Stephen,
Unfortunately no. It was not possible, due to the government restriction.
    -@Lana Tulo

@dollfish

Can you think of any reason why the answer should be any different now than it was on 16 Nov 23?   Two words:  Avian Influenza.    This disease is a real danger to the domestic poultry industry and mutated forms are a danger to both the pork business and humans.   Even though the chance of your birds being infected is approaching infinity, you certainly shouldn't automatically expect any country to admit your birds, given the risk to commercial agriculture.

@THIGV Why are you aggressive? And to answer your question. No. I could not think of a reason and that is why I asked. The purpose of forums is to get information from people. Not be nasty to one another. Simply dont reply if you dont find a question to your liking.

Hello everyone,

Let's  approach our interactions with patience, respect, and a commitment to keeping this forum a welcoming space for everyone.

@Dollfish, you can also send a private message to the OP by clicking on her username/photo so that she gets notified of your question.

All the best

Bhavna

@dollfish

Hello dollfish, and welcome to expat.com.

I hope you won't be too quick to judge our member THIGV, a long-time member of expat.com, nor the general atmosphere of the forum itself. I can assure you that aggression is definitely not part of member THIGV 's modus operandi  when replying to member's questions, or otherwise when contributing to ongoing threads. (perhaps it was the use of the bold font which resulted in the conveyance/perception of aggressiveness?). I'm sure you'll soon find the members of the Vietnam expat.com forum to be a friendly and helpful lot.

That said, I believe the answer to your question to member Lana Tulo,where she posted...

Unfortunately no. It was not possible, due to the government restriction.  -@Lana Tulo

...can be found in the first post of this thread...

Contacted Saigon Pet Hospital and asked for advice and they said, they can help us with importing dogs but not the birds - that government is very strict because of the bird flu. They recommended to contact Ministry of Agriculture.  -@Lana Tulo

I've known a few bird owners over the years, and from what I've seen their attachment to their feathery friends is absolute. I'm thinking member Lana Tulo did not simply abandon her attempts to import her birds, rather it became a bureaucratic impossibility (nightmare/quagmire?).

THIGV 's posting that the "...disease is a real danger to the domestic poultry industry and mutated forms are a danger to both the pork business and humans..." cannot be overstated. There have been several waves of avian influenza (a.k.a. bird flu) in recent years. See here for an article from 10 months ago.

I do hope this is helpful to you, and should you decide to pursue the importation of your pet(s) into Vietnam, it would be great hearing back from you on the steps you took and (hopefully) the progress you've made. We'd very much appreciate it.

Feel free to open a new topic of your own for discussion, or jump in and contribute to any of our other ongoing threads, here.

Once again, welcome aboard expat.com, and hope to hear from you again soon.

Turkey, which is where I must assume dollfish's parrots are located, is one of the countries that has had repeated occurrences of bird flu.   The first avian cases were reported in 2005 and 21 human cases and 4 deaths occured in 2006.   Unfortunately, the geography puts Turkey in the flight path of many migratory birds which greatly increases the chances of new infections.   Vietnam too is under constant threat, being close to Southern China where the H5N1 variant was first detected.   Even if Vietnam decides it can lighten up restrictions on selected countries at some future date, its unlikely that Turkey will be on that list. 

I would not be surprised if Turkey does not allow entry of birds from Vietnam.   This is another thing to consider for all pets,  as one might want to return home with them at a later date.

But! But...

I just want to bring my birdies wherever I go.

Please don't confuse me with the facts in the news...

Tragic news out of Cambodia, February 10, 2024.

Bird flu kills boy in Cambodia  (Link VN Express)