Best Veterinarians in Ho Chi Minh City??

Hello,

For those bringing pets to Vietnam, specifically Ho Chi Minh City. I'd like to recommend a few veterinarians. Please note, some vets are better trained than others. Don't find out the hard way like a few people I know have by going to a negligent and incompetent veterinarian. Here are some things to consider:

1. Fact- it only takes 6 months to become a "licensed vet" in Vietnam. That's because the classes are geared to animal husbandry (breeding, neutering, slaughtering farmyard animals). As of now, there are NO official small breed animal courses in Vietnam. Find out from your veterinarian if he/she has a license to practice on small breed animals (would have been obtained from international university).

2. Research- now a days, you can type in key words to see if others have posted reviews on certain veterinarian clinics (Saigon Pet Clinic, New Pet Hospital, Pet Care). Read, read, read.

3. Ask. Ask. Ask. Not just your neighbors but find out from A.R.C. Vietnam (Animal Rescue & Care) if they can recommend any specific vets: [email protected]. A.R.C. is not-for profit organization dedicated to promoting animal welfare and helping abused/neglected animals.

4. Find out if the veterinarian you pick is part of any animal rescue organization. Most veterinarians in Vietnam become a vet because of the money, not the love of the animal!

I personally use Dr. Nghia at Saigon Pet Clinic (saigonpet.com) in D2. We have 3 dogs that have traveled the world with us. We are very happy with his services. To learn more about veterinarians in Vietnam, vietnampets.wordpress.com.

Good-luck!!

Hi zimdingo, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for sharing this useful information with us. :)

All the best,
Christine

Thank you for the information :)

Thank you so much for your valuable information. We are realy fed up with the ''called vet''Kim CHi at the New Pet Hospital. They gave too many medicine to my dogs, sold lots of things that my dogs do not need with a lot of money. They think we are foreigner and rich here. The worst thing is the Dr Kim CHi killed my loved Collie last year by giving to many injections to my dogs.

We talked to Dr Nghia on phone this monring and had the fisrt consultation for my dogs this afternoon. We are so happy that he could be the vet for our dog. We can see the way he treats to the animals and we have to say that He is a real animal lover.

Thank you so much again for your post.

Frank

I'd like to share my experience with other pet owners.

I brought my cat to New Pet Hospital a couple days ago to give her vaccination.

I was almost die to shock.

One nurse said this Leucorifelin-HC  and P contents Leukemia and Distemper vaccine, after shots

My can needed Rabies and Feline three kinds vaccine only.
I was very worried about overdose lead the disease.

Actually those shots are not included Leukemia and Distemper.
Just the staff does not know about disease at all.

Totally not acceptable the staff who does not have enough knowledge to give the medication.

I will try Saigon Pet Clinic next time.
Thank you for the information about Saigon Pet Clinic.

KTM

I am very very sorry to hear but not surprised. All you have to do is google the word New Pet Hospital to start seeing all the posts about that hospital. You will be very sad to read and see the number of pet owners who have lost a dog or cat at the NPH :(

Good-luck!!

Also, I was wondering why almost of all dogs were tide by rope on the table. I used to be in BKK for 5 years and always I go to Thong Loh Pet Hospita. But I've never seen the pets are tided up by rope. I really wonder NPH is regal hospital or not.
KTM

i am compiling inf ofor dog owners in HCMC on my blog:
machspeedwhippets.wordpress.com

if you know of something that could be added to the lists there, please let me know!  thanks!

Hi Glennskii

Welcome to Saigon! Hope you and your dogs enjoy this lovely city. As many of us have lived here a long time from 3-15 years, please do not hesitate to ask us for any pet related info, we have plenty to share and have gone through many experiences (good and bad)!!! Please do let me know where you'll be able to run your dogs, I can't find too many places for mine. Your breed of dog especially needs a place to "fly" :) Enjoy exploring this city, it is wonderful!

thanks for the welcome..
please help me fill in missing data in the lists of vets, shops with dog food, and dog food brands, so that people after us can have an easier time adjusting with their dogs.

here is the link:
machspeedwhippets.wordpress.com/info-for-dog-owners-in-saigon/

thanks in advance for any help you can give me compiling these lists.

Hi Zimdingo

Thanks for that great info, our pets are too precious to take risks with them.
I wonder if you would help me with a little info re dogs in Vietnam.

1. I would like to bring my small dog with me, is the process fairly easy? Also dogs can live in apartments?
2. I know dog is eaten in Vietnam, will my dog be safe?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Daisy

Hi Daisy12,
I completely understand, our dogs are family! Yes, the process is easy to import your pet into Vietnam. Will you be doing the paperwork yourself or hiring a "pet-mover" to do this for you? We hired one in Dubai as we sent our dogs cargo but I am sure you bringing your dog in as "checked baggage"?? 

Yes, some apartments certainly allow dogs/cats! Where are you planning on moving to, Hanoi or Saigon? Let me know and I can give you a list of apartments that accept pets!

Your last question is a difficult one to answer. Yes. No. Just be extra vigilant with your dog. There has been a rise of "dog-napping", especially in Saigon but not for meat, but for the handsome reward the thieves can receive! Sadly, my friend's gorgeous Chow was dog-napped a month ago... we were unable to find her even with a large reward money. That tells us the dog was kept for breeding purposes (money to be made off of pure-breed litters). We had our three dogs in Vietnam for almost 3 years. But we were extremely careful when we walked them (never let them off the leash) and never kept them outside in the garden for long periods of time... again, just be a little cautious and you'll be FINE!

There are a growing number of pets and pet-lovers especially in Saigon. If you do move to Vietnam, you can always rely on ARC (animal rescue & care) arcpets.com for advice/ tips/ assistance.

Please do not hesitate to ask anything, it is my pleasure to help other pet owners moving or leaving Vietnam!!!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Please use the business directory]

Hello and thankyou for those thoughtful and helpful replies.
I will certainly be in touch for more assistance Zimdingo, since you kindly offered!
I havent decided how to bring the dog over ( we are in Australia)yet, more concerned with her safety and accommodations.

Thanks agan and I will be in touch if thats okay.
Cheers
D

Any info on bringing pet dog to Vietnam

Your pet will go by cargo airline or your pet will flight with you ?
You can email for help:  [email protected]
:)

Hello > Just to inform you that this is an old thread (2011)

Actually, it may be an old thread but we still maintain it and Dr. Nghia of Saigon Pet Clinic is still the best vet in HCMC. (moderated: pls recommend him in the business directory)

Thanks Zimdingo for the informative post.

Dear Daisy,

My name Pinyo from Thailand. Be here for 2 years now but just come across this website today as I came across a roadside sick baby cat and search for good pet clinic to bring it for. Are you in Vietnam with your pet now. I so whre are you? I am in Saigon.I left my pet cat tiger since the apartment I am living now not allow pet.

I just learnt an info from Zimdingo replying you that there is apartment allowing pet. Do you have any idea in HCMC? I would write to Zimdinggo too but not sure he is still in Vietnam or not.

Hope to hearing fro you. See you again later.

Pinyo

Thaipetlover

daisy12 wrote:

Hi Zimdingo

Thanks for that great info, our pets are too precious to take risks with them.
I wonder if you would help me with a little info re dogs in Vietnam.

1. I would like to bring my small dog with me, is the process fairly easy? Also dogs can live in apartments?
2. I know dog is eaten in Vietnam, will my dog be safe?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Daisy

Hi Zimdingo,

I am here in Ho Chi Minh from Thailand for 2 years. Are you still here yourself? Though so may good things to experience here but the saddest thing is lacking of animal welfares or very little awareness of animal rights.

I left my pet cat back in Thailand because I had no idea there are apartments that allow pet here. I just learnt from reading your comment today only. Could you please give me nmes of those apartments. Thanks in advance.

I found this website and registered as a member today as I seache for a pet clinic to bring a sick homeless bay cat living on a foothpath to see doctor. I am in D.1, do you kow any good one close to the botanic garden.

Cheers,

Pinyo Thaipetlover

zimdingo wrote:

Hi Daisy12,
I completely understand, our dogs are family! Yes, the process is easy to import your pet into Vietnam. Will you be doing the paperwork yourself or hiring a "pet-mover" to do this for you? We hired one in Dubai as we sent our dogs cargo but I am sure you bringing your dog in as "checked baggage"?? 

Yes, some apartments certainly allow dogs/cats! Where are you planning on moving to, Hanoi or Saigon? Let me know and I can give you a list of apartments that accept pets!

Your last question is a difficult one to answer. Yes. No. Just be extra vigilant with your dog. There has been a rise of "dog-napping", especially in Saigon but not for meat, but for the handsome reward the thieves can receive! Sadly, my friend's gorgeous Chow was dog-napped a month ago... we were unable to find her even with a large reward money. That tells us the dog was kept for breeding purposes (money to be made off of pure-breed litters). We had our three dogs in Vietnam for almost 3 years. But we were extremely careful when we walked them (never let them off the leash) and never kept them outside in the garden for long periods of time... again, just be a little cautious and you'll be FINE!

There are a growing number of pets and pet-lovers especially in Saigon. If you do move to Vietnam, you can always rely on ARC (animal rescue & care) arcpets.com for advice/ tips/ assistance.

Please do not hesitate to ask anything, it is my pleasure to help other pet owners moving or leaving Vietnam!!!

I'm an owner of two puppies (5 months), Need to know if anyone knows how I can take my two pets to Cambodia and back here in HCM via bus? Is that possible and will there be a need for any paper works in the boarder? I know it is easy to take anything to Cambodia but going back to Vietnam is different. Will this cost me like my friend who have to pay a vet. 500$ for everything even if her pet has a vaccination booklet. According to some friends who have the same experienced with the vet. all of them have to pay that range of expenses for taking their pets with them out of Vietnam, the question is that.  Does it really need to be that expensive to take a pet out of Vietnam (450$ -500$)? more than my plane ticket?  :0

Hi, I'm having my cat neutered with Saigon Pet Clinic on Friday. I'm opting for the keyhole surgery to reduce his discomfort.

I had heard that it only costs around $25 for neutering but I was quoted 1,300,000 for traditional surgery and 2,200,000 for keyhole. I'll gladly pay if that's the legitimate price (for the love of my cat) but it far surpasses the costs in Europe.

When I called up I'm obviously foreign, am I being 'skin taxed' or is that the legitimate price?

Many thanks!!

I do farming in Cu Chi and have employed a few Veterinarians, all of them have been crap.
They over charge and offer poor service, but you still need to keep looking to find a good one, if they exist.

It seems this vet has a good reputation and he does all the neutering for ARC so must have a lot of practice. I love my cat and want to give him the best...so I guess my wallet will take a blow but at least he'll be healthy and not too badly disturbed.

Thank you for the post though.

Anybody know of an exotic vet in HCMC? Husband and I saw some Holland Lop rabbits for sale yesterday but I want to make sure vet care is up to standards here before taking on another fur baby.

http://www.saigonpet.com

Probably best vet in the south.

33-41 Đường, Thao Dien
District 2
TPHCM

I went to Saigon Pets (as above) yesterday and I was very impressed with the standard of care and attention.

Looks promising, will call and see if they do exotic pets!

Hi there,I'm Saigon-er and I'm a VET student. It's so shame to hear the fact comments about VET in Vietnam, but it's the truth! Veterinary has not have its right place to stand yet. The only University that has the VET falcuty is Nong Lam University, which I'm studying at. We also have to study for 5.5 years to graduate, but I have to say the fact that the programme is not so practical. You're right about people in Vietnam want to be VET just because of the money it brings. I hate those too. In my uni, I can see the largest proportion of VET students just becoming a VET because their parents want them to, failing the Medical school (for human) or the money.

I'm very lucky to be the first intake of the international VET course, which is associated with the University of Queensland. I really hope that the Vietnamese VETs in the future will be much improved.

We are taught 100% by the professors from UQ, but we do study with some Vietnamese professors for smaller credit parts of the subject. Dr. Nghia was one of my VNese teachers in first year. His teaching method was also very good, and noone can denine his knowledge, his skills. I had admired him for a short time until I figured out that his moral was not as good as people think he is.

When in class, he said we can contact him anytime if we need to ask anything related to our study, or when we need his help. One time, my dog (14 years old, German Shepherd) was suddenly bleeding a lot from his mouth. I was so scared. There's no good clinic near my house either. I couldn't think of anyone else but Dr. Nghia. I called to ask for help, just to tell me what should I do to stop bleeding, then I take my dog to the hospital later. But what I received is a rude attitude and "don't ever call me again when it's not necessary, I'm very busy, don't you know that??" then he hanged up the phone. I was very disappointed. But I didn't tell this to anyone else in my class, until they figured out themselves that Dr. Nghia is not a good person.

One more example, there was a young girl, brought her pregnant English bulldog to Dr. Nghia clinic in the morning. Dr. Nghia had to operate to get the puppies out. In the afternoon, at home, the mother dog woke up and couldn't breath, couldn't eat or drink anything, and she was still bleeding at her vagina. The whole family brought her back to the clinic but Dr. Nghia didn't give a look, he said "she will be fine, bring her home, I'm busy, I don't have time". The father begged him just please check the dog, because they loved her so much. Dr. Nghia still refused to have a look on her until the father cram 1 million VND into his pocket. He then checked the dog for a few minutes, then said "she's fine, bring her home, feed her with milk" then he left the family feeling not worthy at all. And in that evening, the dog was dead after she tried to push out another puppy. Both dead! The following morning, the father and the young girl came to Dr. Nghia clinic with the dog body, but Dr. refused to meet them. He called the security to stop those father and daughter from approaching the clinic for days and he ran away. He closed the clinic for 1 week after that.

Everyone in my university knows this story. I'm not making it up. But unfortunately, I can't recommend you anywhere else to take your pet to in District 2. Pet Care of Dr. Ngoc at Thao Dien is just as same as Dr. Nghia.

Dr. Nghia is good at his skills, noone denies, but he's not a good VET to me. He only treats foreigners well because you bring him more money than the local. I don't know if you know that you have to pay 3 times to 5 times more expensive than a local? OK money is not so big deal to you to ensure your pet's health. Bring your pet to Dr. Nghia for highly qualified VET, but do not consider him a good VET because he't not deserved with that word!

Sorry to post so negatively, but it's the truth. I hate all doctors that don't have professional etiquette.

Thank vuminhvu, at least there is someone can post a good reference, especially when he is hiring foreigners to spread the "reputation" for him and "bad practices" to his competitors.

Very nice to read the post and I hope you can keep your current spirit to the next steps of your career. BTW, I understand that students usually think their teacher is highly skilled, as they have not met the true qualified yet, or until they themselves become the real qualified !

To Claire: 2,200,000vnd absolutely a cut-throat price ! Keyhole can be done with price around 1,000,000 vnd,with qualified vet - the "traditional" one is just a psychology method (a comparative tool) as you ll definitely choose the better option.

Sorry I do not name any other vets here, or someone will think this for ads purpose ^^.  Just a remind for you all to be careful with reference from Internet in Vietnam, especially "vet for foreigners in HCMC". For who can read Vietnamese, try some google for the "reputation" of Saigonpet - bac si Nghia.
Cheers,

Hi everybody,

Please note that some inappropriate comments have been removed from this discussion.

As this topic is really very old, i am closing it.

Thanks

Priscilla

(Topic closed )

Closed