Unable to register

Hello all!

I've recently come in Netherlands to live with my partner (he is a student here). I got my residence permit and then made an appointment with the municipality to register at the hotel we were living at the time. The earliest available time to come for the registration was only a month from the moment I applied. During this period we left the hotel and stayed at the place at what we cannot register. I canceled my appointment. The proper accommodation with the contract and all is planned from the 1st of April.

I still have a paper from the hotel with no exact date of moving out, it just says that I am staying there. So my question is what option would be better: to register as soon as possible using this paper as if I would still lived at the hotel (do the municipality checks it out?) or to wait for the beginning of April when I hope I'll move to the place with the registration possibility.

I know that I was supposed to do the procedure within 5 days after my arrival, but they just made me wait for the appointment too long (
Maybe somebody had the same experience, any advice would be great!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't think they will come chasing you; providing you stay out of trouble, nobody will know.  The issue will be if something goes wrong, for example, if you are involved in something; you'll have no medical insurance, you won't be registered with a doctor, you can't open a bank account, can't get a job until you become legal.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat team

Cynic wrote:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't think they will come chasing you; providing you stay out of trouble, nobody will know.  The issue will be if something goes wrong, for example, if you are involved in something; you'll have no medical insurance, you won't be registered with a doctor, you can't open a bank account, can't get a job until you become legal.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat team

Thank you for your answer!

Did I understand you right - your advice is not to hurry and wait until we get the proper contract with the landlord?

And if so, I have a few following questions:
First, I have an appointment for undergoing a TB test as IND required at 14th of March. Not having a registration and medical insurance by this time is going to be a problem?

Secondly, in case I would go on vacation somewhere out of EU before register will there any problems on the boarder?

And also without BSN I cannot go to a doctor even though I have an insurance? Or I cannot get medical insurance at the first place? (I was going to buy it online tomorrow)

Hi again,

My advice was based on your statement that you would be legal by the beginning of April (so a few weeks away).

First - the TB test is part of your visa requirement to enter the Netherlands as a Russian citizen; you have 3 months from your date of arrival to have the TB test, I would delay it until you have your BSN, but do not delay it past the 3 months; we had a guy on here recently that faced being deported because he "forgot"; unfortunately the IND didn't forget and they came after him.

Second - potentially, I would delay your vacation for 3/4 weeks until you get your residency (BSN) sorted out - it's very important.

Thirdly - the Dutch Government have issued web information related to residence permits and health insurance; this link will take you to it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi again,

My advice was based on your statement that you would be legal by the beginning of April (so a few weeks away).

First - the TB test is part of your visa requirement to enter the Netherlands as a Russian citizen; you have 3 months from your date of arrival to have the TB test, I would delay it until you have your BSN, but do not delay it past the 3 months; we had a guy on here recently that faced being deported because he "forgot"; unfortunately the IND didn't forget and they came after him.

Second - potentially, I would delay your vacation for 3/4 weeks until you get your residency (BSN) sorted out - it's very important.

Thirdly - the Dutch Government have issued web information related to residence permits and health insurance; this link will take you to it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ok I got most of it, thank you!

One more hing though about the TB test. Here is a quote from the IND web-site:

"...Within 3 months* after the residence permit has been granted, you make an appointment with the Area Health Service (GGD) to undergo the TB test. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment. The GGD fills in this form and then sends it to the IND.
*If you wait for more than 3 months to undergo the TB test, you may risk having your residence permit withdrawn."

What is meant by the date when the residence permit was granted? Is it the moment I physically got it from the IND here in The Hague after arrival? Or it is the date witch stated on the residence permit itself (datum afgifte)?
I am worried because if it's second option (datum afgifte) then those 3 months period expires in the middle of March. In that case I won't have the opportunity to delay TB test.

Hi again,

I've just downloaded the TB test form from the IND website; the only official reference on it is for a "V-number"; a V number is the IND reference which should be on your residence permit and is not the BSN number, so I don't think you have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I'm sorry but I don't understand your answer. My question was about the 3 months period in which I'am supposed to undergo TB test. I am wondering from what exact moment the IND starts to count this time: 1. from the date I physically got my residence permit at the IND office or 2. from the date stated on my residence permit card as "datum afgifte"

My point (probably not made very clear), is that if there is no link between your TB test and registration (BSN), then there is no reason why you should not attend the one you have already made (next Thursday).

oh, ok, Thank you!
You helped me a lot!

nobodyfromnowhere wrote:

oh, ok, Thank you!
You helped me a lot!

LOL - that's what we're here for.

If you have the time (and inclination), we don't get many Russian expats on here, it would be useful to know your whole journey so that the next Russian who comes along will have something to help them.

Hope you have a great time in Holland.

Cynic
Expat Team

Ok, maybe later I'll make a post about my experience :)