Safety in Cairo?

Dear community,

This is my first thread in Cairo community and I hoping that you guys may help us. My husband has received fantastic job opportunity to work in Cairo (actually New Cairo) for next 2 years.
Reading some articles online I got pretty scared on level of crime, sexual harassment (both verbal and physical), driving vs unsafe public transports and overall risk of terrorist attacks in Egypt and Cairo.
I would highly appreciate some experiences of expats who are already there and have experiences either positive or negative.

We would be living in New Cairo if that is important to mention :)

Thank you all for commenting in advance :)

Martina

Dear Martina,

Your fears are unwarranted. Cairo and Egypt is a beautiful place with very friendly Egyptians. I have spent nearly 2 years and I have only received warm smiles, helpful people. Of course like any place on earth you will have bad elements, places but that can't be avoided even in the most advanced countries also. I would recommend to just come without any apprehensions and enjoy the wonderful opportunity that you have been blessed with.

if you still have second thought or paranoid then would suggest to take a visit visa and check the place personally before you take the plunge.

Good luck

Dear Martina,

I am an Egyptian citizen, and I will be talking to you honestly as I know how much scared you might be. Well, regarding sexual harassment, yes there might be some but this depends on the place where you will be. For new Cairo, it is a nice place and people who live there are really nice and you will not face something like this. But overall, it is not like what you think, it is like in lots of other countries.

Regarding public transportation, I won't recommend it at all. They are not clean and overly crowded. Driving will be hard for you at the begging, because here rules are not respected and lanes are not followed. So I would recommend you rely on Uber and Careem only.

I wish you enjoy your new opportunity.

Regards,

Hi Martina,

When are you due to arrive? We arrive in August and are looking at New Cairo to live.