Success opening Bank Account on new protocolo?

Hi!

My wife and I just received our PR / authorization to live in Brazil for an indeterminate amount of time, and our protocolo a couple days ago. The new protocolos don't have any photo on them, it's just a couple slips of paper stapled together showing that the PF authorized us as residents in Brazil.

Has anyone had success opening a bank account using this protocolo? The policial that processed our case said that some banks will and some won't open an account. But the new system takes 3 months to have the cartão CRNM ready. :-/

I visited a local Itaú bank yesterday and they won't open an account since the protocolo doesn't have a photo, and that I'd have to wait until I got the CRNM card. It would make life a whole lot easier here if we could open up bank accounts now instead of waiting 3 more months...

I'm wondering if anyone has had success opening an account on the new protocolo? Or are there some banks which are more open to this than others?

You might have better luck with the government-owned banks, Banco do Brasil and Caixa Econômica Federal.  Posters here have reported more difficulties with the private banks, like Itaú.  I was able to open two current accounts (one for me and a joint one with my husband) on my Protocolo in 2017 at Banco do Brasil without much difficulty.
To open a current account (equivalent of a US checking account, although Brazil no longer uses checks), you'll need a Brazilian taxpayer ID (CPF) from the Receita Federal, your Protocolo, your passport (which of course IS a picture ID, and should match the name on your Protocolo), proof of address, and proof of income.  Go to the office -- not the cashier windows -- and talk to a bank officer.  Prepare to be there an hour or two, and to do a lot of smiling and explaining why your documentation really is sufficient.  Do it right, and with a little luck, you'll emerge with a bank account.
Opening a savings account ("poupança") is less hassle than a current account, and does not require proof of income.  You can transfer funds from abroad into a savings account, and access it through ATMs; you just can't pay bills from it.  If the bank is hard over on not opening a current account until you have your CRNM, consider asking to open a savings account now, and open your current account when your card comes.
Good luck -- please let us know how it goes.

Ok, great! Thanks for the advice. I'll try BB on Monday and see if I am able to get one opened.

Another pain is getting proof of residence. It seems like only very specific items are accepted, and Itaú doesn't even accept a rental contract (even though my copy is certified by the cartório, sigh). And if my wife wants an account too, seems like it will be easier to get some bill set up in her name, e.g. water in mine and electricity in hers.

Not sure how they want proof of income (I work remotely and receive salary to a US bank account), but guess I'll cross that bridge next week. :)

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes.

I obtained a letter from a Brazilian accountant (found through talking to local acquaintances) vouching for my income and had it at the ready; she was quite willing to issue it, based on my 1099s.  As it turned out, the people at BB also were willing to accept the 1099s, so I didn't need the letter.  If you describe yourself as a "liberal professional" ("profissional liberal"), basically, a freelance knowledge worker, they have a lot of leeway in determining what proof of income is acceptable.
I think that they'll accept your rental contract; they did for us.  They were less picky than the private banks;  I hope that they still are.  My husband is Brazilian and the contract was in his name; the bank accepted it and our Brazilian marriage certificate as proof of residence for me also.  Assuming that you're both Americans, not sure what to suggest.
Just to be sure that we're never caught short for proof of residence -- we're kind of the belt and suspenders type -- we now have the Internet bill in his name, and the electric bill in mine.  :par:

That's a great thought -- hadn't considered IRS forms, but have 1099 + W-2 ready. Maybe I should print them out just in case. We're both American. I do have an internet bill in my name, hopefully that or the contract would work with BB. But I read that some places may or may not accept internet, and water and electricity are pretty universally accepted as I understand it. Not a big deal I guess, just more bureaucracy / "procedimentos" to get thru. Starting to get used to it after a few months here. ;)

I opened an account in Bradesco a few months ago with just a download of my monthly statement from my US credit union as proof of income. Of course 1099s in Social Security, Military Pension and also from your Stock Broker should also be accepted.

Utility bills for water and electricity is universally accepted in Brazil as proof of residence.
I don´t try the internet bill just to make sure.

I doubt that BB would accept your protocolo without a picture. They mistrust everyone in Brazil especially with "conta de laranjas" or money laundering and they require documents with a photo to identify you. You should wait for your CRNM (RNE).

I´ve been in Brazil for a long time and I never really use local banks to pay my bills. I use my US credit cards for groceries, gas, restaurants etc. Cash is for places that only accepts
reais and I get cash thru the ATMs at my own convenience without falling in line at banks. I back them up with pre-paid reloadable VISAs (I have 3 separate for different purposes) just in case that I lose my debit cards or have troubles due to defective card readers from banks.

There are some grocery stores that block US debit cards. There are stores like Atacadão
(Costco type) that only accepts the local credit card issued by them instantaneously.
Walmart does issue local credit cards instantaneously but also accepts US cards...

I have bills to pay in the US, so I have to keep my accounts there. I also go home every year, so an account open including credit cards is imperative.

robal

Addendum:

A lease agreement from an imobiliaria is also sufficient as proof of residence. Accountants can vouch for you also if you say you are "autonomo" or independent in which case the income range would depend on how your business was registered as an "empresa" with CNPj.

If you keep accounts in the US, banks would make it difficult for you to log in due to
geo-targeting. In this case I use a VPN to be able to access servers around the world
including the USA. You can access US contents on Netflix, Hulu etc. I use Yahoo Finance a lot and they make it difficult if you use the regular browsers like Chrome or Firefox.

I use Nord VPN...

robal

When first arriving and after receiving RNE I had my cell phone bill sent to residence and that was fine,

You can even opt to receive the bill by e-mail. You have to have your printer though. You can print through your computer or cell phone.

Will Official US Government Mail such as 1099s from OPM Pensions and Social Security work as Proof of Residence /Addressed to Current
Home or Apartment  for the bank or one needs a local utiity ,internet,electric,water ,etc.

I am a Permanent Resident. I currently live with friends, I have all documents necessary to live and play in Brasil (lol,kkk).

I was also told that the people I live with could write a statement that I reside  at the address and have it notorized and it will serve as proof of address...Caixa stated the notary document....

Alascana,

Your last paragraph is true. They can declare that you live with them and that the utilities
are under their names...

robal wrote:

Alascana,

Your last paragraph is true. They can declare that you live with them and that the utilities
are under their names...

Only the Last Paragraph  (lol), so to be clear....clarity is important  (kkk)  The folks declare I live with them notorized statement (okay) the folks I live with state the utilities are in "Their Name" (okay) and take one of their utility statements with me or the person with me??? Cauz banking in Brasil is tuff on a Player...thanks friend/ amigo...

OK. The mail from the US, like 1099s could serve as an adjunct measure to strengthen your case linking you to your address (the bank employee could probably accept that, although it´s foreign and not a local document). As a proof of income, yes!

The statement of your friend/s brought to the cartorio (they have to come with you to
the cartorio where they have their signatures) for certification can be brought to any entity requiring you to present proof of address. This is in lieu of the actual utility
bills like electricity and water if nothing is in your name.

I have not tried to present my internet bill to prove my residence. Your statements were all good.LOL . What a perfectionist!

robal

There´s no set of specific rules to justify someone´s "comprovante de endereço" or proof of address. However according to Brazilian Federal Law 7.115, the most common accepted documents are bills for water, gas, electricity, telephone (line or mobile); lease contract, income tax filed, traffic tickets and I would assume even internet bills with your name on it! Here´s the complete list, of course in Portuguese!

https://contaembanco.com.br/outros/comp … esidencia/

robal

robal wrote:

There´s no set of specific rules to justify someone´s "comprovante de endereço" or proof of address. However according to Brazilian Federal Law 7.115, the most common accepted documents are bills for water, gas, electricity, telephone (line or mobile); lease contract, income tax filed, traffic tickets and I would assume even internet bills with your name on it! Here´s the complete list, of course in Portuguese!

https://contaembanco.com.br/outros/comp … esidencia/

robal

Thanks, I needed that..your a on point person....thanks for god information. ...

Hi did you finish opening the account?
I opened an account in Itau and Banco do  Brasil, with protocolo, 2 months ago, please notice on your protocolo, at the buttom it mentions the protocolo is valid when accompanied with an ID with photo, whichcould be your passport. and they can check protocolo validity online.
In itau  I presented the notary declaration from my landlord, however they typed the address in a form and asked me to sign as proof of address.
Bank of Brasil asked for a utility bill of the owner along with notary declaration
Itau did not ask for proof of income nut Bank of Brasil asked for it.
Both opened the account for me.

Thanks for the update, and congratulations!

Well, I went to BB on Tuesday and didn't have any luck. I brought everything they asked for, but the employee seemed confused and found some reasons not to open an account for me.

First thing she said was that she didn't understand the kind of "visto" that was my protocolo and there isn't a category to enter that into their system (e.g. like for students or foreign workers). I did explain that it's not a visa and I'm now a resident here, so that should have not been an issue, but anyway...

Then she was caught up on my proof-of-income being from the US. She came said that I need a "domicílio físico", this is different from a proof of residence and this would be required to open the account, and I'd need to be working in Brazil (for a Brazilian company) or own property. No idea on that one, as an initial Google search didn't turn up much.

Then she told me the location of another BB branch that is better for opening an account for foreigners. Haha. Just shaking my head. I think maybe she just didn't want to bother with opening an account for me, or didn't understand my residence status, or maybe a bit of both.

At this point I was able to get my water bill in my name, so the next one issued in a couple weeks will have my name on it. I was also able to get a post-paid mobile plan in my name, so that might help as a backup (but the water bill should be sufficient now).

So once my CRNM card comes in, I should be able to open at least an Itaú account, as everything will look a bit more "normal" to the bank employees, and less suspicious. But it was a bit discouraging.

robal wrote:

I doubt that BB would accept your protocolo without a picture. They mistrust everyone in Brazil especially with "conta de laranjas" or money laundering and they require documents with a photo to identify you. You should wait for your CRNM (RNE).

Yeah, I agree with this after my experience. The protocolo alone seems to confuse people or make them just uneasy enough that they don't feel comfortable using it or seeing it as a "real" documento, that can be used for e.g. legal identification.

robal wrote:

I´ve been in Brazil for a long time and I never really use local banks to pay my bills. I use my US credit cards for groceries, gas, restaurants etc. Cash is for places that only accepts
reais and I get cash thru the ATMs at my own convenience without falling in line at banks. I back them up with pre-paid reloadable VISAs (I have 3 separate for different purposes) just in case that I lose my debit cards or have troubles due to defective card readers from banks.

There are some grocery stores that block US debit cards. There are stores like Atacadão
(Costco type) that only accepts the local credit card issued by them instantaneously.
Walmart does issue local credit cards instantaneously but also accepts US cards...

Most everywhere here accepts my US credit cards, if not AmEx then Visa. My only issue is monthly rent, which is large enough that I have to make 2-3 trips per month to ATMs to take out enough cash to pay it (due to daily ATM limits imposed by the Brazilian banks), and I also have to go to the bank to do so. It will be so much easier to be able to pay boletos bancários with my Brazilian account / apps rather than go in person every time.

It will also be nice to be able to make online purchases here in Brazil. Unlike in-person transactions, almost _no_ website I've used in Brazil accepts US credit cards, only Brazilian ones.

Nazli&Nelly wrote:

I opened an account in Itau and Banco do  Brasil, with protocolo, 2 months ago, please notice on your protocolo, at the buttom it mentions the protocolo is valid when accompanied with an ID with photo, whichcould be your passport. and they can check protocolo validity online.

Hahaha, I mentioned the exact same thing to the bank employee ... she said they could only accept Brazilian passports as a proof of ID (I thought maybe they were confused, as this should be valid photo ID for me and the protocolo can verify my name / residence status). But like above, probably depends on the bank / person and will be easier once I get the CRNM anyway.

Also in this relationship-based society, probably easier if I know someone working in the bank like a manager, who could help me overcome some of these ridiculous and seemingly made up on-the-spot requirements.

Yup, what a Bureaucratic mess.... it's allways something, I'm gonna give Caixa a shot soon and post those results, my plan, Ciaxi,Santander, BDB....hit all three and maybe Jackpot or lollipop. I love the part of try another branch of the bank...lol
I have no relationships...and I like it like that...I fail to see any relationships here that help anyone except help themselves.....

okieinscbr

Sorry to hear that you ran into these difficulties.  The person who waited on you at BB was definitely confused, and most of what she told you either isn't true, or at the discretion of the bank.  You don't, for example, need to be working or own property to open an account, you just need to be a permanent resident, have a verifiable address, and, to open a current account, have acceptable proof of income.

Something I should have said in my previous posts on this topic, and will from now on, is to always go to the main office of the bank you choose in your city to open your account:  that's where the top managers are, and that's where the management trainees from elsewhere in Brazil -- the bank's high fliers-- go through on their rotations.  That's probably the office she was trying to tell you to go to, and that part was probably good advice; I'd give it a try.  Asking to speak with someone who has experience opening accounts for resident foreigners probably isn't a bad idea, either.

When we opened our accounts, we went to the BB central office in Manaus -- for no better reason than that it was the closest one to our house.  I've noticed going into other offices around town how different (and less well organized) they are, and realize from reading about your experience that dumb luck was in our favor that day!

abthree wrote:

You might have better luck with the government-owned banks, Banco do Brasil and Caixa Econômica Federal.  Posters here have reported more difficulties with the private banks, like Itaú.  I was able to open two current accounts (one for me and a joint one with my husband) on my Protocolo in 2017 at Banco do Brasil without much difficulty.
To open a current account (equivalent of a US checking account, although Brazil no longer uses checks), you'll need a Brazilian taxpayer ID (CPF) from the Receita Federal, your Protocolo, your passport (which of course IS a picture ID, and should match the name on your Protocolo), proof of address, and proof of income.  Go to the office -- not the cashier windows -- and talk to a bank officer.  Prepare to be there an hour or two, and to do a lot of smiling and explaining why your documentation really is sufficient.  Do it right, and with a little luck, you'll emerge with a bank account.
Opening a savings account ("poupança") is less hassle than a current account, and does not require proof of income.  You can transfer funds from abroad into a savings account, and access it through ATMs; you just can't pay bills from it.  If the bank is hard over on not opening a current account until you have your CRNM, consider asking to open a savings account now, and open your current account when your card comes.
Good luck -- please let us know how it goes.

Abs, you mention 2 types of accounts, I am confused on the account similiar to a US checking account and a Savings Account... please clarify for I need a account to pay bills or is both types of accounts recommended??? Thanks and how you be?....
And do I want a Credit Card????

Saving accounts cannot pay bills. Checking yes. (They done away with checks). You can withdraw from savings account. Have not open one since I do not know if they pay interest. Anyone know?
Now I do not know if a credit card comes free. At my bank they wanted R$400 for a CC. No thanks!
I use my US cc with no foreign transaction fees, just fine.

Alascana,

If you´re tired of counting cash at supermarkets, yes you do need a cc. But it comes with a yearly fee except Santander and Itaú.

Conta Corrente = checking acct. Monthly maintenance fee.
Poupança = Savings Acct. No monthly maintenance fee. This would be ideal to link your SS pension if you have one. And then you can opt for the US govt to send in in reais so you won´t have to deal with bad exchange rate from the local banks...

If you have a Braziian cc, don´t use it to buy goods on-line. Mine was cloned. At check-out click the boleto bancario instead of a cc.

robal

Hey, Alascana!
Doing great, thanks.  Hubby's back in class, we've recovered from our five weeks stateside (no more North American marathon trips for these Amazonenses!), and all's right with the world.  How about you?

The difference between the two accounts is as Tex and Robal described.  For paying bills through boletos or transfers, you definitely want a conta corrente.  Caixa has the lowest charges, but they're all high by US standards.

For store purchases, restaurants, and other in-person purchases, I use the debit card associated with my conta corrente.  I ramped up my limit with the bank to the maximum- R$2000, I think.  It's treated same as cash.

Brazilian credit cards have annual fees, usurious interest rates, and laughably low credit limits:  a trifecta of "Oh, HELL no!" Unless for some reason you want to establish a credit record in Brazil, why bother?

Nothing wrong with using US credit cards where they're accepted.   I seldom do, because I like to keep my Brazilian charges and payments segregated from my US charges and payments for budgeting purposes,  but that strictly personal preference.

Technically, savings accounts pay interest, but the rate is miniscule, less than inflation most years.  Although you can't pay bills from a savings account, I believe you can use the debit card for in-person purchases.

When I say that debit cards are "treated same as cash", I mean that they qualify for the cash discount that you can get for most purchases, aside from groceries.  Even if the merchant doesn't advertise or offer it, the simple question, "Is there a discount for cash and debit card?" will get you 3-5%, more often than not.

Credit cards do NOT get the cash discount, and in fact, may get an upcharge to cover the merchant's transaction cost.

robal wrote:

Alascana,

If you´re tired of counting cash at supermarkets, yes you do need a cc. But it comes with a yearly fee except Santander and Itaú.

Conta Corrente = checking acct. Monthly maintenance fee.
Poupança = Savings Acct. No monthly maintenance fee. This would be ideal to link your SS pension if you have one. And then you can opt for the US govt to send in in reais so you won´t have to deal with bad exchange rate from the local banks...

Does it matter if I link the SS pension to either account ? Confused on either SS to the Conta Corrente or the Poupança or it doesn't matter?

Alas
you need to go to the SS site to be sure which banks they have approved in BR. You can link to savings or checking

Texanbrazil wrote:

Alas
you need to go to the SS site to be sure which banks they have approved in BR. You can link to savings or checking

Thanks "BIG TEX". I'll get back at ya L8er on Who's on 1st as I move to 3rd looking for a Home Bank...rotflmbao. ....

Alascana wrote:
Texanbrazil wrote:

Alas

Thanks "BIG TEX". I'll get back at ya L8er on Who's on 1st as I move to 3rd looking for a Home Bank...rotflmbao. ....

Found Nothing of Approved Banks Brasil.....on SSA site.....

Alascana wrote:
Texanbrazil wrote:

Alas

Found Nothing of Approved Banks Brasil.....on SSA site.....

The internet went poof. More rain aqui. https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/
Then go to outside US, Brazil is good and only some banks.
I'm just uneasy about direct to foreign banks. SO just deposit in US and transfer, but you cannot be a Brazilian Citizen.

Yup, I think the internet here has a rain sensor as soon as I drop hits it kaboom it quits and we get rain maybe once a month.., I think I'll leave the deposit thingy  alone, I'm surprised a full year with no bank strikes...lol..
I will keep working on my issues with banking, as of now I want the car and the house that's why I need the bank, other than that I'm going Cash and Carry. ...lmao

More brown bears here than Alaska! They eat expiates and internets. Bradesco and BoB ok.

Texanbrazil wrote:

More brown bears here than Alaska! They eat expiates and internets. Bradesco and BoB ok.

OK I will hit them both in a kind Texas manner (lol) maybe I will give them a Chill....
Are there really Brownies here?, they don't eat people. Now the Polar,Black,Grizzly and the MOAB aka Mother of all bears, that Flippin Kodiak bear my gawd he can stand 10 feet and a prayer will not save one....kkk=lol, we must remember to speak "Americano" it aint inglês =english.....smh
Do they eat permanent residents.....lmao

Yes, they do eat especially permanent residents from Alaska ha ha! But they´ve become picky as now they want Heinz ketchup to accompany their meals!

okieinscbr 22 February 2019 00:41:31 Report #18

I only make 1 trip to the ATM machine. I have 2 debit cards from credit unions plus the 3 reloadable pre-paid debit VISAs. I can buy a house with those with the amounts I´m capable of withdrawing.

For me, it´s convenient that way because as I shop for groceries, I go to the Loterica inside the same establishment first to pay my phone bill, internet etc.

I go at 6pm at ATMs (banks) when there´s still light and when you can park freely on the street without putting a parking ticket in your car... Brazil is notorious for lack of parking and you have to be careful when carrying large cash on the streets because.... You know already!

robal wrote:

Yes, they do eat especially permanent residents from Alaska ha ha! But they´ve become picky as now they want Heinz ketchup to accompany their meals!

We like Hunt's and Hellmans those are Alaskans to be eaten preferences of Ketchup for We Will Not Support the John Carrey Heinz family for they eat babies...lol.

Now we got the jokes out the way, I will attempt the bank escapades and it's Monday that will help me understand why it may take 4 hours to open a flipn account or maybe not, I know just keep smiling....lmao

robal,  I like your plan of handling banking. When I return to the US,  I will look into Reloads, ,nothing ever happens in my little town so I have no concern of carrying whatever from money to jewelry. Parking in this town is just don't use the disabled spots and the bus works fine for me...Hey can you buy me a house, I promise to pay you back with no interest (rofflmao) just joking enjoy the banter amigo=friend we must remember this is a"Americano Writing" thread....
Have a Super Week and my Banking Adventures begin today, maybe I will run into a Wild Customer Service Bear in the Bank.....lol=kkk

Big A I have know idea as to what bears are present here, was an Alaska joke.
Alaskan's eat so much salmon, bear think they are one.
Anyway good bank hunting. Just a note, last week went to bank a saw manager, asked to up my limit of $2000 U$D per month. (Auto, house taxes coming due.), took 5 minute and was approved. Now I have been with them awhile and know my spending  and history, so know I am not using money but to "buy Brazil" and pay my bills.
Health Care insurance went up with birthday so an extra R$100 per month.