How much is a taxi from the intl airport to downtown Bucharest? Read

Hi there, how much is a taxi from the intl airport to downtown Bucharest? How long does it take? How about buses? shuttles? thanks!

The taxis from the airport are all run by one firm, who have a monopoly on it and charge 2-3 times more than regular taxis. You'll probably get stung for about 100 RON (25 Euro) if you take one of them. Takes about 30-45 mins to get downtown, depending on the time of day/trafifc. Getting to the airport by cab is cheaper, about 50 RON max, because you can get a regular cab. You should tell the cabbie that you're going to the airport when you get in because they need a 'rovinet' (kind of pass) to exit Bucharest and not all have one.

Sometimes, when coming back from the airport, I go to the arrival area and see if I can catch a regular cab which has just dropped someone off. They are usually more than happy to go back to town with a client rather than empty. Occassionally I've got a good deal off them (10 RON cash or so).

There are two buses from the airport, the 780 to Gara de Nord and the 783 to Unirii, although both stop on route if you need to change. When you leave the airport go to the bottom level and the stop is there. You'll need to buy a card from the kiosk there before getting on. It's not much, a couple of Euro (although you'll need to pay in RON).

From Baneasa Airport you can more easily find a regular cabbie and there are normal city buses that stop outside.

Or we could just the airport transfer service he links to in all his posts... Bit of clever link farming going on here methinks.

Or we could just the airport transfer service he links to in all his posts

Well, he just got banned for this reason ... and I deleted the links :whistle:

Shame really because thats the funniest thing reargaurd ever said

The cheapest way to go to Bucharest downtown from the OTP International Airport by taxi is the following: After arriving and collecting your luggage , walk to the international departures terminal ( it takes 2 min) and from there you can take a regular taxi that comes from town and drops somebody off or you can call a regular taxi trough phone. Fare is 0,35E/km ( 1,4 RON/km) .

i want to add that the cheaper (normal priced) taxis from the city are waiting on the top floor of the parking garage. In fact they are not allowed to pick up customers but they are allowed to park in the garage. That is their trick.

When you walk outside on the arrival level of the International building, and you manage to get rid of the aggressive taxi salesmen of the taxi monopoly that chase you in the arrival building, then you walk right to the top level of the garage and there they are.

Normal companies are Leone, Taxi2000, Chris taxi, Mondial etc. They show the tariff on the outside front door (RON 1,40-1,50 p/km, which is about € 0,35 p/km )and they use a taximeter.