Is it possible to get car insurance with foreign driver's license ?

Hello,

Is it possible to insure a car if my driver's license is from the USA ?
I will be participating in events in Romania that require me to drive but I wont be in Romania more than 3 times a year... still I want to insure my car...

Does anyone know?
Or can you refer me to some reputable car insurance companies so that I may ask?

Thank you !

A drivers license has no bearing on car insurance here.  It's not ran the same way as the USA.  Here in a sense the insurance is tied to the car, not the driver.  So to answer, yes it's possible.

As for searching for offers, you might try eMag.ro which will give a comparison all in one place, as do other insurance brokers which can be found online or in the shopping centers.

I've been here 10 years on a US drivers license and my car is insured so there is no issue.  You'll want to shop as prices vary significantly.  I use an agent to assist me every 6 months I have to renew.

Tamara777 wrote:

I've been here 10 years on a US drivers license and my car is insured so there is no issue.  You'll want to shop as prices vary significantly.  I use an agent to assist me every 6 months I have to renew.

:o
Not to stray too far off topic...but don't you know that your US license is not valid here if you're resident in Romania?

Thank you Tamara777