Driver's license and car

I am about to move to Bucharest in about two months (I got a job there) and I will get (I assume) the residency permit.
Although I love public transport and enjoy riding metro, buses and trams, I also like to have a car and be mobile for weekend trips, etc.
I am thinking to take my current car with me.

Now the questions are:

1) Can I drive with my national driver's license (from EU) without getting the local one? If so is there any limit for how long I can do so?
2) In case I cannot drive with my national driver's license do I have to pass exams or can I exchange license for license? How long does it take to go through classes and pass exams?
3) Can I drive my car that is registered and insured elsewhere in EU?
4) If not can I register and insure this car in Romania (sort of importing the car)? Are there terms, conditions and restrictions for registering such a car (emissions, age)?

Thank you for any kind of advice and suggestion including Romanian website (hopefully in English).

Also this is what I found in another topic:

In case you wish to drive around in Romania with a foreign car, one can do so, but there are limitations and obligations.

The Romanian traffic police ("Polita Rutiera") also mentions on their website the following regarding the "90 day rule" upon which one is obliged to get Romanian number plates (and effectively importing the car + paying the "pollution tax")

Is this true? Will it help if I leave every three months for a weekend trip to a neighboring country (e.g. Hungary, Bulgaria) and get the stamp in the passport?

Hi,

1) Can I drive with my national driver's license (from EU) without getting the local one? If so is there any limit for how long I can do so?

If you have a European driving licence (i.e. issued by a EU state and that fits the EU format) then you can drive using that without any additional paperwork. You can continue to use your EU-issued licence until it expires. After expiry, you need to renew it with another licence issued by the authorities of the EU state you are living in. So basically you're good with a Czech licence till its expiry date, then if you're still living in Romania, you can renew it with a Romanian one (which would also be valid in the Czech Rep.).

2) In case I cannot drive with my national driver's license do I have to pass exams or can I exchange license for license? How long does it take to go through classes and pass exams?

No need. Even if you renew your Czech one for a Rom one eventually, you don't have to retake the test - it's just a renewal.

Yes, although I think other people will tell you more about the rules. Lots of Bulgarian cars on the roads here. I've also heard something about the 90-day rule but hopefully someone else can clarify.

4) If not can I register and insure this car in Romania (sort of importing the car)? Are there terms, conditions and restrictions for registering such a car (emissions, age)?

There is a tax you have to pay for registering the car here. If it's a relatively modern car with low emissions, the tax isn't too bad. There are a lot of other fees you have to pay too, varying in amount, to various different bodies, plus a load of other forms and stamps. I think there are companies which will do all the legwork for you for a fee. Here's a link with a form for working out the 'environmental tax'. It's in Romanian, but I think you can work it out: env. tax

Maykal wrote:

Yes, although I think other people will tell you more about the rules. Lots of Bulgarian cars on the roads here. I've also heard something about the 90-day rule but hopefully someone else can clarify.

Please would anyone shed more light on the issue above?

Technically you cant stay in RO with such a car for more than 90 days. Ideally every 90 days you will drive out to Ruse, Bulgaria - 80 kms away, have a coffee there and come back, and your car is legal to be on the RO roads.

SirNookieOMighty wrote:

Technically you cant stay in RO with such a car for more than 90 days. Ideally every 90 days you will drive out to Ruse, Bulgaria - 80 kms away, have a coffee there and come back, and your car is legal to be on the RO roads.

How will the Romanian authorities (police and others) know that my car travelled abroad? Is it recorded anywhere?
Or the condition is that the car owner cannot stay in Romania longer than 90 consecutive days and car itself can be parked in the garage? Would a "Euro Weekend" (via airplane) do same trick as the journey to Bulgaria?