Public transportation in Bucharest

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Bucharest ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Bucharest?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Just moved here and got to say taxis are very good price, 1.39L per km but also a small charge in traffic. Watch out that the drivers don't try to take a long route or even go around in a small circle at some point to push it up, but I caught a taxi from Baneasa to the centre of Bucharest for 20Lei so that's pretty decent.

Metro is also good value at 10L for 10 journeys and offers fair coverage from my (so far quite limited) experience. They're not as frequent as in some of the other European capitals but still not too far apart. Not tried the buses or trams yet though.

From my ( also limited, with buses ) experience - busses come to the station in front of my house at about 5 minutes. And I'm talking 5 real minutes. It is common to wait for a bus for 2-3 stations instead of walking to that place.
For the moment, it is the best public transportation system I used ( at this very decent price ).

Yes, public transport is pretty good I think.

In addition to what the others have said above, you can get a one-month travelcard for 50 RON (about 12 Euro). That gives you free access to all the buses, trams, and trolleybuses. It's a plastic 'credit card' style thing that you keep and just reactivate at any RATB kiosk each month. Saves a lot of hassle looking for ticket booths.

For an extra 35 RON you can get 62 trips on the metro added to your travelcard, which is good value - works out at about half the price of buying 10-trip tickets and is enough to get you to work and back on a daily basis.

Frequency is good on most lines. Metro comes every 5 minutes on busy lines during rush hours, and no more than every ten minutes at other times. Buses, trams, and trolleybuses vary in regularity, usually between 5 mins and 15 mins depending on the day, time, and line.

Most of the vehicles are quite modern now, some of the buses have air conditioning, most are reasonably clean except some of the older vehicles used for routes on the periphery. Never had any problems with safety, but take the usual anti-pickpocket precautions as you would in any major city.

Hello!

Thanks for your contribution.:)

Harmonie.

Very accurate explanations!
And it's right like that!
Ari