Visa Overstay

Hi guys,

I arrived in Brazil 13. December. They told be I had 21 days before I would become illigal. I have a return ticket to Norway 28th January so from my calculation I will have 25 days overstay. I was not awere of the continuous 90 days from first entry rule. I have already booked a new trip back 28th February.

When I arrived they said I would be legal if I left Brazil the 21th day (2. January) and returned on 21 January. This makes no sense to me but that's what they said. I really want to be able to return without problems 28th February. Can I overstay the 25 days and pay the fine and the days will not be counted? Should I go to PF a few days before my flight 28th on and pay the fine or do I risk them telling me to leave right away?

I have been travelling back and forth between Norway and Brazil continously staying around 1,5 months each place.

Demokrit,

My understanding is from the first date you enter Brazil you have a 90 day entry visa. It's doesnt matter how long you stay each time but in total you are allowed a maximum of 90 days per year.

This can be extended for a further 90 days by filling in a visa extension form online, paying a fee and submitting this to the federal police, showing proof of funds, and plane ticket out of Brazil. This will give you an additional 90 days so in total you would be able to stay in Brazil for 180 days out of 365.

I believe if you overstay your visa you are not allowed to re-enter Brazil until your visa allowance renews which is the first date you entered Brazil. Your visa allowance goes back to zero every year on the first date you entered Brazil i.e. if you entered this year on 1 Feb 2018 your new allowance starts on or after 1 Feb 2019 depending when you re-enter.

Can anyone else confirm?

When i left 3 weeks ago, the Customs Lady showed me on the computer when i could come back into Brazil. I think this is the simplest way for everyone to know when they are allowed back instead of taking a chance trying to calculate and be wrong and sent back home

Ikexplorer wrote:

My understanding is from the first date you enter Brazil you have a 90 day entry visa. It's doesnt matter how long you stay each time but in total you are allowed a maximum of 90 days per year.

I'm pretty sure it's 90 days per 180 days and 180 days per 365 days.

shayf2001 wrote:

When i left 3 weeks ago, the Customs Lady showed me on the computer when i could come back into Brazil. I think this is the simplest way for everyone to know when they are allowed back instead of taking a chance trying to calculate and be wrong and sent back home

Very good suggestion  :top: However I would consider leaving early if I knew I would be able to enter as planned in February so it would be good to know if the overstayed days is counted or not, and if they are counted - how are they counted.

Hi,

I'm not aware of the visa rules for Norway, but for (UK) citizens it's a 90 day entry Visa which can be extended for a further 90 days at the Federal Police. You are free to use the 180 days as you wish within 365 days.

Please keep us updated. It would be good to know first hand.

Hi guys,

Thought I would give you an update here so that you have more information.

I changed my flight to leave 10. January so I had only 7 days overstay to avoid any troubles when I get back 28. February. I went to Policia Federal in the morning the day I left and got the multa, paid at Loteria and showed it at the airport when they check the passports. It was all ok, but it seemed like they couldn't register the payment yet so I have to show the receipt when I enter Brazil again.

I asked them when I could go back to Brazil and after taking some time to check he gave me the answer. From 21st January to 20th July I can be 90 days. They only count the days I'm actually in Brazil. He said I could return in February without mentioning any specific date, but it seemed like I could actually return 21st January already.

The next period would start 21th July and also be 6 months with new 90 days. He also confirmed this with a collegue to be sure he was right. So it appears I have 90 days in 6 month periods and can come and go as I want as long as I don't stay more than 90 days. He even wrote and explained this on my flight ticket  :) I think 21th July was the date of my first trip to Brazil btw.

What they told me is not the same as the rules that should apply to Norwegians which is the 90 days continual stay even if you leave Brazil so I'm guessing they either have not updated to the new rules or simply work with their own version at Fortaleza airport  :D

I didn't ask if the extra days counted or not since the guy used so much time to explain so I can't say anything about that. Hope this helps anyone in the same situation!