Hello from a longtime lurker

Hey everyone,

My amazing bride of 28years and I are beginning the journey of hopefully moving to the DR. Roughly 1-3 years.

Our world wide search came down to 3 locations Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic.
We have narrowed it down to PR and DR and have already been to PR.

So after 4.7 million +- hours of online research, we plan to be there late April and early May with another couple from Phoenix also investigating.
We are hoping to stay 5 days in PC area then either Las Terrenas or somewhere else for another 5 days.
Our goal is involvement in tourism so other area recommendations for me to research would be appreciated.

Wish we could stay longer this first trip. We are planning on renting a car and driving all over the place. I should be fine (I drove semis in Port au prince and vans in Mexico City) :)
We would love to meet up with a couple of you guys for a little boots on the ground info.

I haven't been to the DR since I flew in after the 2010 Haitian quake. I spent a month there in relief work.

I just wanted to say hi to start and thank you all for your opinions that I have been reading for the last few months.

Wwalljohn

Welcome to the forum.

You are wise to shortlist the D. R.  Once you come and spend time here, your decision will be the D. R.

I am especially interested in your interest in tourism.  Tell me what that means to you.  As you may already know, the D. R. leads the entire Caribbean in tourism for years.  The annual number of visitors have exceeded the previous years with impressive numbers.  And it continues to grow. So of tourism is a priority, the D. R. is your easy choice.

Where are you moving from?

Holler back and let me know what your intentions are related to tourism.

Welcome from your new friends in the D. R.  Another day in paradise!

Welcome to the forums. As you already know there is a ton of info on here.

PC, Las Terrenas,  Puerto Plata/North coast are all good options depending on your budget and what you plan to do there!

Another growing area that may be of interest is the south west of the island.  A lot of undeveloped and untapped opportunity there.

Hey Bob,

We are currently in Phoenix, AZ.

We are flexible in both location and actual business. We plan to rent in a couple locations over a year to decide where we want to start.  We would have telecommute income and be able to not make profit immediately.   
We are looking at many possibilities including (but not limited to) property management, vacation rentals, excursions, souvenirs, etc.

Again this is very preliminary and just want to eliminate places or ideas before narrowing down our first adventure once we move.

Wwalljohn

Thanks Planner!

I can't tell you how important this site is to someone like me!
We all know that someone trying to sell you something naturally will forget the negatives and both positives and negatives are required to make decisions.

Wwalljohn

By basing yourself initially in Punta Cana/Bavaro, you are at one end of the country so your planned drives to see more of the country will likely be long in those initial 5 days.

Yes it is a logical choice being the driver of mass tourism in the country which centres around All Inclusive resorts there.

So be aware that a drive from Punta Cana to the capital is near 3 hours and onto the South West border and see the South West as planner mentions is near 8 hours drive one way. Similarly to drive to the North Coast at Puerto Plata is near 6 hours and to the extreme North West at Monte Cristi is near 8 hours. To Las Terrenas it will be about 4.5 hours.

In reality the East Coast is flat but with long lovely beaches and a landscape which is made up of many acres of sugar cane fields. Yes there is a mountain range to the north west which is accessible by a new road through Miches to Sabana and the wonderful Haitises National Park. A ferry to Samana was being developed from Sabana but that is still not complete, so a drive to Las Terrenas will be to Las Americas and then along the toll roads north and through some lovely countryside.

You should have no worries about you driving around this lovely country if you have already sampled Haiti! Earlier this year I met a German couple who arrived and hired a car in Punta Cana and spent a few days there, then using GPS drove to Punta Rucia for a 3 night stay in the wonderful lodge there (where we met them) and visited all that surrounds there including some interesting historical sites and some lovely coves and beaches with an hour or so drive, and also Cayo Arena. And then they went onto to Puerto Plata and flew home from there. They said that Punta Cana was yet another fine beach resort but could have been anywhere, but after that they saw the country.

Ten days won't go far if you want to sample a wide variety of what DR has to offer. So seriously think of arriving at one airport and departing from another at the other end of the country to maximize your vacation time. It is an incredibly varied country with so much to see.

Yes good points.  This is an island but not necessarily small......

Another consideration is the lifestyle you wish to have and who you wish to be around!

Punta Cana area -  much more expensive and attracts the higher end tourism and expats. Lots of big All Inclusive resorts and stunning beaches. But for me its really boring.

Las Terrenas and Samana -  more European tourists in the past but I suspect that is changing. More natural. Very beautiful but for me again a bit boring.

North Coast - tends to be more middle class and upper middle class but pockets of higher end tourism and expats.  Closer to  "normal" life yhere than Punta Cana.  And it is much prettier with large hills and a more rugged coast with some beautiful beaches.

South west -  beautiful in its own way, stunning beaches. Lots of undeveloped everything.  Also almost no English, less services but maybe more opportunities. I would suggest not your first choice to live if you don't understand the culture and language.

There you go,  my opinions but more to weigh in on your options.....

We are planning on the long drive specifically to take in more of the country but your idea of departing from a different airport is excellent if the price isn't crazy. Time for more research.

My guess is that PC won't end up our choice but the volume of tourist will definitely enter into our decision. Las Terrenas seemed to have both tourists and more diverse topography, but obviously I can only determine so much from an Imac :)

As for only having 10 days...I wish we had longer this time. We'll be back several times prior to the move. Wife still has to be in AZ for work right now.

Las Terrenas is definitely worth a visit and if you read my other postings you will understand I have a strong affinity for the place and Samana in general.

I do think it is a 5 day stay venue though with so much to do and visit.

Punta Cana to Las Terrenas to Puerto Plata is an option. But again you can spend 5 days and more exploring either side and inland from Puerto Plata too.

Santiago is often found to be the cheaper airport for a one way flight back to USA and is only about an hour inland from POP which is considered a more expensive airport to fly to or from.

Santiago airport is a great choice if you are looking to triangulate flights! And it is less touristy so usually pretty smooth.....

Five days here,then fve days her will never give you a true awarness of the aea,  % days minus one at least to get to the next place, settle in with your bags, find a place to eat & drink & very little time left to experience the reality.  With another couple the decisions are multilied.  I suggest for thip exploration, spend more time in the particular locations.  For me, theNorth shore is the place to be.  I wish you well & remember to smile, laugh & be open to all that is here.

Hey Tinker,

I totally agree. I guess I'm hoping to either eliminate an area or find one to come back to for longer.

Not a chance of Renting or buying a place on this trip. More of an overall exam than exploratory surgery I guess.

I'm pretty sure I'll have more info than sitting at a computer here in Arizona :)

Plus it will be nice to be back in the Caribbean again.

Wwalljohn

Rather than sitting on your ass in front of a pc, a much more illuminating experience is brushing sand out of your butt on one of our beaches.  Like I said, laugh a lot.  It clears the sinusis & lubricates the bowels    If you ever want to know more about this area, let me know. I have friends who may be able to enlighten you  regarding what is going on here.  Are you close to the border? I'm a walk to the ocean in Sosua.

Nothing like sand in the buttcrack to remind you that you're alive!

We're in Phoenix area about 2 hrs from the border.

I'll definitely hit you up with questions, Thanks!

Wwalljohn

When you post your questions on the forums you help lots of others as well!  Ask away.

Santiago is a very convenient airport to fly in and out of. The drive from there to Sosua takes your through Puerto Plata where there is one, soon to be two, cruise ports. And, there are new hotels under construction.

If you have an extra day on the departure, check into flying from AZ to Ft. Lauderdale and then Jet Blue to Santiago. We do it from Indy and save bookoo $$. Good for you on the Haitain taxi gig! That will be very helpful. 😊

ChristeE is right, a better, more practical way to get here.