Buying Medication Over the Counter

Hello,

Does anyone know if you can still buy most medications over the counter in Thailand?

I've heard they have cracked down and that you can no longer buy medications, that you would need a prescription for in the States,  over the counter.

I need to buy some medication that is to be used for fertility. If I can't buy it over the counter, does anyone have an idea of what clinic I can go to In Thailand in order to get this medication? thanks!

I've heard they have cracked down and that you can no longer buy medications, that you would need a prescription for in the States,  over the counter.

It's not that straight forward here :)

The thing to do is try many different pharmacies... especially local mom & pop pharmacies (versus chain stores) are more inclined to not be as concerned with prescriptions.   If they have it, they want to sell it.   But some stores, some employees will or will not ask for them.   I've actually never been asked for a prescription and I've gotten at least 5 things now that normally require it in the States.

1. The Thai officials don't follow the same guidelines as USA, they have their own.
(Here some pro-biotics need a prescription, where none do in States.)
So you can't reference it based on the states.

2. Many pharmacies here don't have the inventory that US ones have.   Some things only hospital pharmacies have them (or not at all).   So you have to just go to many places and ask around.

3. If someone does ask for a prescription and you don't have... try another pharmacy, or come back at a different time of day when different employees are there.   They may sell it.

4. If they have it and you are confident and just expect to get the medication easily, sometimes they will just give it to you.   I had an experience like that... I asked for multiples of what is typically a prescription drug, the lady hesitated but then just got it and gave it to me.  I was clear and unconcerned, so she didn't question anything.  :)