ID or residency when Caring for elderly parent living in Malta

Hi.....I need some advice please! I have been coming over to Malta on a regular basis mainly to visit my mother who owns property here. She has residency here but is not Maltese...she is an EU national. My mother has now become very poorly.....She is now totally disabled and we dont know how much longer she has left...I have shifted over to become her primary carer and also have Power of Attorney together with my brother who lives in The Uk. There are sufficient funds for me to be supported here by my mother for this..

My question is which Id or residency category would be best for me to apply for? The Self sufficiency with me as a dependant? Would this mean I have to get private health care or as a UK citizen do I qualify for the certificate of Entitlement?

I do not intend to be in Malta long term but would like to open my own  bank account here.
Would it be better for me to obtain an e-ID card with work status?

Some advice would be very much appreciated!
Thankyou

Welcome to the Forum, you should be able to apply for self sufficiency as long as you have proof, have you retired from work?  You can live over here for three months before applying for residency and when you do you have to show three months of bank statements to prove you have been here.

I am temporarily caring for her ...not retired yet! I cant get a bank account without an ID card from what I understand so cant show bank statements....

Bodor wrote:

I am temporarily caring for her ...not retired yet! I cant get a bank account without an ID card from what I understand so cant show bank statements....

As GozoMo said, you have 3 months before you have to do anything.
As you will be dependent on your mother then you may be able to apply as such.
As for a bank account, the banks here are a law unto themselves and regardless of EU regulations they will not normally let you open a current account without eResidence card and most now also want a certain amount of money deposited up front!
If all else fails, try talking to Identity Malta and ask for their advice, at least you will know where you stand.