Sending and receiving packages in Malta

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Malta?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Malta?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

We do order items on line but often find the postage to be more then the cost of the item, also some sellers do not post to Malta why I do not know.

When I had anything sent I would only use the office address which was serviced so relatively trustworthy. I still have photos on mail which was sent to my home address which was just dumped in a pile on the street.

I have used parcel monkey in the UK to send bulky weighty items to Malta. This has been successful and bearing in mind the cost of excess baggage on Air Malta, reasonable. Delivery has been by courier to my Maltese address.

Recently I ordered some rugs fro Rugvista and their service has been excellent - to my door using fed ex. The cost of delivery is free within the EU and I would recommend them.

We have been waiting for 3 packages shipped from Florida 3 weeks ago and still no sign of them. Once a package arrives, we get a notice through the mail slot of our building stating that our package has arrived and need to go to the post office which is a 17 minute walk away to pick it up.

Many websites will not deliver purchases to Malta. If they do, some will only ship certain items. I would love a list of sites that deliver to Malta if anyone could provide it....

Book depository sends to Malta and frequently this is free. Amazon again delivers door to door but they have a list of things they will not deliver (E. G. Batteries)

There's a lot of items that Amazon will not deliver to Malta, I do a lot of cross stitch and it's getting more difficult to purchase the kits, eBay used to be good but now delivery is almost as expensive as the product.

I have an address in the UK for my business that forwards to wherever I am in the world.  I just deliver UK things there.

Not the most cost effective I am sure but since I have this anyway its great.  We batch up amazon deliveries for direct-to-malta so delivery comes to say 20 euro out of a 200 purchase thats fine.  Other stuff I deliver to this London address and they forward it.

I am starting to have items delivered to a friend and she will post them on, it surprises me how many
items cannot be delivered to Malta but everywhere else, sometimes I think people don't realise Malta exists.

I do crafts, handmade cards and knitting. For cards there are several sites that delivery from UK to Malta one is even free delivery. I found the same that eBay and amazon do not delivery here so I have started to use Aliexpress , as cheaper and quite a few have free p&p, I  have checked and do cross stich items. For my knitting I use the Uk site loveknitting as p&p reasonable and lots of yarns to chose from.