Landlord issues?

Hi Guys -

I am close to making a decision on renting - it will be either Pantai Panorama or Mutiara Residency.
__

I saw a few random posts that mention that landlord may tend to not return security deposit quoting silly reasons - just to con tenants.

Is it possible for the experienced members of this forum to comment on;

1. What kind of precautions should I take before renting out? Like speaking to the management office?

2. Do you know of any such issues with these two condo? Or issues with any specific condo or agents?

Your guidance will be appreciated.
Thank You

Hi Anup,

my few Friends staying in Pantai Panorama from past two years . They have changed units inside the condo and outside  . They never faced any problem regarding the security amount. Owner will detect amount for A.C Service and cleaning charges.

Thanks
Shabeer

I have lived in Pantai Panorama.  I think Melvin is the main agent there and is quite transparent in T&C. Mgmt is also active and keeps the staff on their toes. The cleanliness is so much better than most condos in brickfields.

It's just bad luck and lack of smartness which sometimes cost us against landlords. Better agree with owner that you'll not pay last two months rent and he would adjust on deposit.

Cheers,
Ash

What about south View Service Apartment

Did you check it

Your experience

AB_anup wrote:

I saw a few random posts that mention that landlord may tend to not return security deposit quoting silly reasons - just to con tenants.
1. What kind of precautions should I take before renting out? Like speaking to the management office?

Try to calculate how much you can afford for your rent without assuming that your security deposit, which is usually 2.5 months, will not be returned. As we researched, they are usually not returned.
If you live in a condo or a gated community and you try not to pay for the last 2 months before you move out, this may not work because the owner may simply disable your pass. The owner can't force you out of your apartment without a court order, as I know, but you can't get in without a pass.

Our agent said that  if a renter doesn't pay, an agent can call a police after two weeks of the last notice and they will kick a renter out. I wonder if this really happens and a police has the right to obey an agent without a court order.

If your landlord returns your security deposit, then consider yourself lucky.

General advice:
1) List whatever needs to be fixed BEFORE handing over  vacant possession in the "Agreement to Rent" . Do not pay the 1st month rent and full deposit until everything is fixed.

2) Check carefully Tenancy Agreement. You can insist on modifying it to your needs.

3) You can negotiate a monthly rent down. Remember that there are many-many unoccupied units and there are some desperate owners who can accommodate you.

4) Make pictures of the  items in the apartment with your agent before you move in.

5) Check and document in the Tenancy Agreement if anything is broken or doesn't work. If you miss it, you will be responsible for the repairs.

6) Be sure that all the AC units are serviced. They can be serviced in your presence the 1st week after you move in or require a receipt when they were serviced. They should have a sticker on them for the service.

7) Yes, you can speak to the management in order to be sure that your agent is actually an agent and not a renter who is subletting you an apartment. Find a way to check your agent. They must have a license number and the agency they are working for.

8) Your Tenancy Agreement must be stamped. You need to pay for this. Without the stamp, it is not considered legal.

9) If you care, visit your future apartment in the evening in order to see if your neighbors are not very noisy after they are back from work.

10) The best option for the main windows is facing north and away from the busy roads.

I have been staying in KL for past 14 years and did not have a single problem with the landlords.

You MUST pay your rent right up to the last month - you cannot just not pay and get it deducted off the deposit.  If you do that you will get into a lot of problems.