UK Spouse Visa Advice

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any advice out there for us!?! I'm a British citizen living in Australia with my Brazilian husband, we have no kids or dependents. We're looking to move back to the UK due to my dad's poor health and to be closer to family. We satisfy all of the criteria but the Financial Requirements are proving a bit of a headache. I earn 18,600+ here in Australia, as does my husband. We received advice that I need to have a job lined up in the UK earning 18,600 but this is proving difficult, especially as I'm a teacher and face-to-face interviews are the norm for working with young people. We have savings in my husband's name in Brazil and some here in both names. My parents will be accomodating us to begin with, they own their house, have no debts and savings that they'd like us to use to support our application.
My questions are - do we have enough to go on? Can we use the fact that my folks want to help us? We have notarised letters from both my mum and sister about the legitimacy of our relationship and can get a medical certificate proving my dad's condition.
My head is about to explode with all of the info I've read.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The financial limits described on the UK Gov websites are minimum limits.  You also have to consider that the person who is considering your application is not considering your personal circumstances, he/she is just ticking boxes on a computer screen and if a box needs to be ticked and isn't, then the system will reject your application.

So, how to get around it; simple solution is for you to travel to the UK alone (you are a British citizen and can come and go as you please); get a job that meets the salary requirements, then your husband applies.  Assuming your teaching qualifications are recognised in the UK, you will have no trouble getting a job anywhere, they are crying out for teachers.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks so much for that. When you put it that way, of course they wouldn't consider the personal reasons behind it. It sounds like the most reasonable way to do it and even the starting salary for teaching is more than the visa requires.

Thanks for your time and solid advice, much appreciated.