Shipping a laptop from the U.S.

Hello. Is it OK to purchase a laptop online (Amazon or Best Buy) in the U.S. and ship it to Mexico? Any feedback? Thank you.

Hi, I am not sure if that would be an advantage.

I would suggest that you buy it in Canada and bring it down yourself in Mexico (have the proof of purchase with you and better if some time between date of purchase and arrival) because anything sent to Mexico could be subject to the IVA 16% (GST &PST) also some customs duties could apply. When travelling to Mexico as a tourist you are allowed to bring a laptop duty free.
Link in Spanish quoting that you can bring a laptop for personal use and one in English
https://www.gob.mx/shcp/articulos/lo-qu … a?idiom=eshttps://yucalandia.com/answers-to-commo … e-article/

Also, since living in Mexico, I sometimes check prices in AMAZON Canada to compare with AMAZON Mexico and often AMAZON Canada quotes " can't be shipped to Mexico.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Marat2017 wrote:

Hello. Is it OK to purchase a laptop online (Amazon or Best Buy) in the U.S. and ship it to Mexico? Any feedback? Thank you.

I would skip that risk and hassle and buy it in Mexico from Amazon. You can buy it on your Amazon account and have them ship it to your new address. They ship most things to Mexico. I have an Amazon US as well as an Amazon Mx. They are in Mexico.

Thank you for your feedback! Well, actually  I was asking about buying in Amazon or Best Buy USA, not Canada, and then ship it to Mexico. I have a laptop, but I want to buy a backup one for my work. BTW, can I bring two laptops to Mexico? Cheers!

Sounds good, thank you!

I buy stuff online & have it shipped to a Mail place by the border. Dunno if you wanted to avoid crossing or are even near. But you could find out if they receive it there how much they charge to ship it to you in MX. Might be cheaper than shipping directly from retailers across. http://24-7postal.com/

Jennifer

Thank you! I'll check it out.

We came by car and had 3 laptops, then I replaced two using Amazon here. Don't bring anything new in a box, it must look like your good old trusty laptop.

Actually, I am flying to Mexico. Is it really that I might have a problem at the border just because I have two used laptops?

I really don't think you will have a problem. They are your laptops, used and in your laptop bag with you, not checked in. I have traveled via air with my laptop around Mexico and into Mexico, it has not been an issue. If you had a new laptop in a box you would be charged import fees.

Thank you for clarification!

THERE R NO SHIPPING FROM US TO MEX. I HAVE A POST OFFICE IN EL PASO WHERE ALL MY WALMART AND AMAZON SHIPMENTS R SHIPPED TO. MY SON WORKS IN EL PASO BUT LIVES IN JUAREZ, SO HE PICKS UP MY PACKAGES. BETTER JUST TO BUY LOCAL OR HAVE SOMEONE BRING IN. CHECK AMAZON FOR LOCKERS NEAR U. NONE IN JUAREZ

grapenut wrote:

THERE R NO SHIPPING FROM US TO MEX. I HAVE A POST OFFICE IN EL PASO WHERE ALL MY WALMART AND AMAZON SHIPMENTS R SHIPPED TO. MY SON WORKS IN EL PASO BUT LIVES IN JUAREZ, SO HE PICKS UP MY PACKAGES. BETTER JUST TO BUY LOCAL OR HAVE SOMEONE BRING IN. CHECK AMAZON FOR LOCKERS NEAR U. NONE IN JUAREZ

Ok grapenut,

Yes, it makes sense given that you live right on the border to pick up packages in the U.S.

No, it is not true that you can't ship from the U.S. to Mex. I, as well as others,  do it all of the time. Amazon, as well as Walmart,  exists here as well as in the U.S., but even some other companies ship here.

Thank you guys!