What car to buy

We will be moving to Panama in 6 months to a year.  We are leaving our old car behind and plan to purchase a new/used car when we arrive.  I've heard that there are certain brands to buy as they are much easier to have serviced.  Can anyone recommend a car maker that is good to purchase in Panama?  Should we purchase new or used?  Does a new car in Panama cost about the same as in the U.S.?  Thanks for your help!
Karen

Well, you are right to leave your car behind. Shipping cost and taxes would make just about any car not worth sending over here.

There are many car brands here. Some not available in the States. Service for you car will depend mostly on where you want to live. In the major city, such as Panama City, there are mechanic shops for all the major brands here. Outside of the main cities, most mechanic shops are little more than home garages setup by someone with ambition.

If you buying used and are living in the countryside areas and plan on exploring, make sure you get a 4x4 with simple mechanics and not a lot of fancy electronic components as a lot of the shops won't have computerized equipment. If you plan on staying close to the main cities you would be fine.

The most popular cars here are the Toyota Hilux trucks(22k range up to 35k loaded) and Toyota Landcruiser SUV (35k-63k). The Nissan trucks (frontiers) and Isuzu DMAX trucks are popular as well in the mid 20's. Trucks are more popular than cars, but Honda Chevy and Mazda have lots of cars as well. It's mostly preference. I prefer a Range Rover, but probably not the best car to for my situation.

Cars and trucks are priced similar to the states but don't come with everything you would expect. Watch the details.

Hope this helps.

MM (xpatescape.com )

Are all these cars automatic or manual transmission?

Most are available in both. Standard seems best given the terrain of inner roads. If you are staying on the Inter-American highway, automatic will be no problem.

MM

And what about in making the local driving licence? Is that possible and/or absolutely necessay?

Good day.  We just bought a 2011 Skoda Fabia Combi and learned that we need to go back to Manila. It only has 10,000 milleage. We are exploring the possibility of selling it before we leave. Are you interested?

mktimken wrote:

We will be moving to Panama in 6 months to a year.  We are leaving our old car behind and plan to purchase a new/used car when we arrive.  I've heard that there are certain brands to buy as they are much easier to have serviced.  Can anyone recommend a car maker that is good to purchase in Panama?  Should we purchase new or used?  Does a new car in Panama cost about the same as in the U.S.?  Thanks for your help!
Karen

Sposino wrote:

And what about in making the local driving licence? Is that possible and/or absolutely necessay?

You are allowed to drive in Panama only for the time of the visitor visa. If stay longer you need to have local driver licence. This is an easy step, nothing to worry. It will take an hour, a blod test and few $$$.