Bringing my car with me to Panama?

I would like to bring my Jeep Liberty with me when I move to Panama, but do not seem to be able to get any
information about this. I am in the U.S.  Have any of you brought your own car in?  What does it cost? What happens? Mine is a 2006 with only 87,000 miles on it and I love it. Besides, it is paid for.  I have been warned against it, etc. Too expensive, even though coming in on a Pensionada Visa there should be no duty.  I am told they charge the duty when you sell, and can place any valuation on the vehicle that they want.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Ruth

99% of those that import their car, regret it. First, no parts for U.S. cars, everything has to be brought in from the U. S. and that costs a lot, especially if it is a heavy part. Mechanics here charge more to work on a U.S. car, they are not use to them. True you can defer the Duty, but only if you import your car after you get your Pensionado Visa, so you either have to come down and get your Visa before you move or you wait to import your car. Also the deferment is just that, a deferment, you have to pay it before you can sell the car. Plus the tax is more for older cars, they do not want you to import an old car. Just don't. Sell your baby before you move, buy a good used car from an expat once you move here. Use someone like Keith, The Car Guy in Boquete to find you a good car.

Thank you so much for the advice.  My Mother used to tell me "It's only a thing, Ruthie." 
I will try to keep that in mind as I sort through this BIG house and do my best to downsize.
Ruth

Another option would be to leave your Jeep in a storage unit.  We left our Jeep Patriot in a Public Storage unit near the airport in FL.  We do not plan to ship the car but we wanted to be sure the move was permanent before selling the car.  Since you are attached to your car, storage might be an option.  On trips home, we do not have to rent a car and the savings offsets some of the storage costs.  Public Storage usually has an online special for the first 6 months of rent, so reserve online.  We have a 20 foot deep unit and pay $153 per month. The rate was $131 for the first 6 months.  Leave the car near an airport for easy access on trips home. Many people get attached to their car, so maybe storing it for a while will help.

Thank you. That is a good idea.
Ruth