Getting to know the expat community

Me and my wife are from Wisconsin in the US and  would like to move to the DR for five months in the winter. Won't be doing it for another five years but want to purchase a house not a condo before that.
We thought it would be a good idea to talk to people and look at different areas so we feel good about
the area and get educated on what to do and not to do when looking to purchase in the DR. Probably
be coming out this winter and would love to get together and talk with the expat community. Any
input would be great!

Thank you,

Bruce & Kim Nagel

Welcome to the forums. Your plan is a good one!!! Get to know the country and areas and take your time.

Lots of us around to help as needed. Start reading and asking questions honey.

I keep coming back and from what I see you really get a bang for your buck in DR!

Hi Bruce and Kim,

you're very right that you need to figure out for yourself what area and town works better for you. And it's great that you're starting your moving process with much anticipation taking time to educate yourself and get recommendations.

In general, I think one of the first things that you will need to decide is whether you want a house in a residential community/project or a free standing, independent house with no project maintenance costs. Each option has its pros/cons. 

Independently of your decision, there are 2 main checks to carry out. First, you need to check with the local titles' office whether the person selling the property is the actual owner and if there is no mortgage or lien on the property.

The second check is with the taxation office, Impuestos Internos, whether all property related taxes have been paid. You can do it all by yourself, most people appoint a lawyer to carry out this task.

You also need to see if an official government demarcation survey has been carried out, known as a deslinde.

Thank you for responding to my post it's all good! I can't wait to start a the process!

Thanks again,

Bruce

So were going to come out this winter and want to check out the north coast, VRBO a place for a couple weeks. Do we rent a car is that safe? If we don't rent a car how can we see whats available and get a
feel for the whole area? Any advise would be appreciated, we just don't want to get a place and plant our selves it's going to exciting to get out and explore!

Bruce Nagel wrote:

So were going to come out this winter and want to check out the north coast, VRBO a place for a couple weeks. Do we rent a car is that safe? If we don't rent a car how can we see whats available and get a
feel for the whole area? Any advise would be appreciated, we just don't want to get a place and plant our selves it's going to exciting to get out and explore!

Having your own transport is in reality the only way to explore the country. That said, you will find the driving here somewhat chaotic and dealing with the motorcyclists will be a challenge.

Driving on the North Coast involves less traffic than one would encounter nearer Santo Domingo or Santiago, but my experience is that the driving skills of the locals tends to be lower in general so be cautious. Expats driving in that area can also be problematic being too cautious and not adapting to the local driving norms. I drive in Santo Domingo all the time and throughout the country too, and I have adapted and follow some of the basic rules here which is to keep your ground and nose ahead. Forget traffic signals, staying in lane, sped limits and some of the most basic driving rules being followed by others, but do use common sense and follow the basics road rules because expats do get picked out by the driving authorities.

The most important thing to do if you hire is to take full local insurance cover from a major car hirer and ensure they include 'casa de conductore' (basically a place to be held in hotel like conditions rather than a prison in the event of a serious accident). Do not think your credit card insurance from US will cover all. Check in detail every aspect of the vehicle you hire at the onset too.

Don't be put off by the challenge. Go enjoy and travel around the North Coast.

Can I get a rental right out of the airport? And will Google maps help me find locations?

Thank you,

Bruce

I'm not that familiar with POP airport but I am sure major international and some local hire companies will be there and bookable online.

You can get GPS too but I use Google maps for my travels throughout DR.

Driving along the North Coast from Cabrera to Luperon could not be easier in terms of roads. Basically you have one generally quiet road with a few small towns and a slightly larger one being Puerto Plata. Dont drive at night is my recommendation.

If you venture inland it gets a bit more complicated.

Where will you be based?

I am sure some NC members can chip in. I was working from Cabarete for 3 months last year so was on those roads all the time. Quiet roads with poor drivers is my assessment when compared to the rest of DR.

Do try and visit Punta Rucia which is further west of Luperon.  Stay at Punta Rucia Lodge mid week for a real tropical chill out in quiet relaxing and most beautiful surroundings.

Don't know yet where on the north coast, been looking at VRBO options. It would be on the ocean or in the hills overlooking the ocean. I kinda favor a house with a pool and a
view of the ocean.

We are on the same path...we're a bit ahead of you on the Midwest to DR timeline.  3 years ago we had a 5 year plan to find a tropical second home to retire to. (I'm in my late 40's, hubby in early 50's...so not really planning to full on retire...)

Stop 1 was 5 days on a DR Escapes tour in July 2015 in Cabrera and we found a house and put in a bid and now we own a small house with a pool and partial oceanview plus two additional lots with ocean views (one has the dream view and will be for our future retirement villa whereas our current house will be a rental)...never looked back...no regrets so far...

There are lots of aggravations and difficulties managing your second home from so far away, but your neighbors and the community will be a big factor.  Once you know where (and you are doing the right thing, spending the winter there...and I can give you a contact for renting a car...and some pointers) then you need to hire a reputable lawyer to help with the whole buying process. Many of us here can point you in the right direction.

On a social note: We will be there for two weeks Christmas to 3 Kings. If that coincides with your stay and you'd like to come check out Cabrera?

Feel free to PM me with specific questions, I am happy to help.

Oh...and for long term rentals VRBO/Homeaway might not be your best bet.  Maybe do a month or two with them...but, then you should be able to find other rentals maybe in areas you then want to explore more?

Bruce, contact Mike (you have the info) Most hotels will provide an airport pick up. He can give you the recommendations that 30 years of living here on the North shore have proven valid. Unlike many, he truly enjoys helping people, not just hustling for a sale. Rent a car, need a plumber or handy man?  A maid, a cook, a nanny or where to buy a TV. Mike can help. He has helped many times without personal gain,  Well worth a call or e-mail.   See you soon.

Driving on the north coast is in some ways easier and in other ways its worse!  The main highway between Puerto Plata and Cabarete has almost no lights at night.

What you find in the "towns" is a massive amount of motorcycles and motorcycle taxis called motoconchos. They are STUPID and ridiculous drivers. No lights, no helmets, no signals and no respect for the rules of the road. Be very careful when driving.

Just be hyper aware, a little aggressive and a little defensive and you will be fine.

Yes you can rent right at the airport.  YES take full insurance. Give no one your passport, they should take a copy of your passport only. 

Explore and enjoy!

So funny I've just started our five year plan, my honey is in her late 40's and I'm in my middle 50's. I have a business I want to sell in 3-5 years and also down size our house here in the states. Looking
forward to our next chapter in life God willing!

Bruce Nagel wrote:

Don't know yet where on the north coast, been looking at VRBO options. It would be on the ocean or in the hills overlooking the ocean. I kinda favor a house with a pool and a
view of the ocean.

There is so much information online about the part of DR to which you plan to visit and my advice is to not only talk to other expats but to do a lot of reading too.

The North Coast is expansive and you willl find everything along this coastline from Monte Cristi in the west to Las Galeras in the east.

Most people refer to the North Coast as being Luperon in the west to Cabrera in the east. And for sure Cabrera as one poster has mentioned is a popular retirement destination for villa owners with some great sea vistas on the coast or from the hills behind. But maybe that does not suit you and somewhere with more expats and a wider selection of property such as Cabarete may be of interest.

I would suggest that the North Coast comprises of the Silver Coast and Samana in the east.

Here are some links to a travel guide format I frequently use on my travels for both the Silver Coast and Samana. Click to discover more.

https://www.roughguides.com/destination … ver-coast/https://www.roughguides.com/destination … peninsula/

For beach with nearby mountain views, places like Las Terrenas will take some beating especially a villa in the Coson hills overlooking spectacular Playa Coson. But it is to the far east of your chosen zone and it has a more European feel with a large French and Italian community. Lived there 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ultimately it comes down to the reality that DR has so many beautiful places and you will need to travel, experience and investigate thoroughly before settling on your chosen location.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask more.

Thanks a bunch!

It always comes down to what you are looking for in your life here.  Get some clarity on what you want and then start experiencing the various options.

Good info Lennox!

Bruce Nagel wrote:

Can I get a rental right out of the airport? And will Google maps help me find locations?

Thank you,

Bruce

The Puerto Plata Airport has a lot of car rental offices where you can get your car such as Avis, Alamo, EuropCar, etc. You can pre-order your vehicle on their websites too so it will be waiting for you when you arrive. But normally the prices at these rental offices are somewhat high. So probably the wisest solution would be to get to your place in a cab and then rent a car from a local smaller company. For example, if you stay in Sosua/Cabarete, there is a very reputable car rental company called OK Motors owned by a German guy who maintains his vehicles well, offers lower prices and full insurance.

Google maps will help you to get around. Alternatively, you can also use Waze application.

Great advise thank you!

So whats your thoughts of flying into Puerto Plata as our starting point getting a car and
looking at areas down the 5 from there?

Flying into POP from the states sounds great on paper but gets a bit more difficult in reality. It is considerably more expensive than flying into Santiago. But, since you are spending a longer period of time, it might be worth the extra expense. Especially if you want to rent a car. You can rent in Santiago, but that means driving from Santiago. We fly into STI everytime we visit. We own a car though.  It is not too bad and we take advantage of stopping along the way for groceries, IKEA, furniture stores, Jumbo...several stops. The Malecon/ seaside road through Puerto Plata, is beautiful. The drive from Santiago to Sosua, via Puerto Plata is a couple hours.

I was very concerned about driving but once we did it, it has made things easier. Just remember to look everywhere! The best defense is a good offense. 😁

It is a beautiful, grounding country. I hope you enjoy your adventure. We fall more in love with every trip. We too are on the 3-5 year plan and have already purchased an apartment/condo in the hills of Sosua.

POP is more $$, however it is just 6 miles from Sosua. You can call Mike & he will meet you at the airport. An excellent fair priced car rental in Sosua.  It is a good starting place for your exploration of the north shore.  A great mix of topography, beaches, hills, rivers, mountains & the people. As a base, you can travel east to Samana or west to Monte Christi & Luperon.  You are fortunate that you don't have to rush to pack everything into a short period of time. A much better way to go.

Is DR Escapes a good plan for us this winter even if were not planning on buying this winter?

The tour can be interesting & informative.  Just be aware that the places shown will be the ones that they have, to sell or receive a referral fee. This includes hotels, restaurants etc. It is a business after all. However, it is low key & you do get a good idea of the area.  It is only a day or so & with no obligation on your part. They are hospitable & interesting people.  You have the time, go for a days tour. It won't be a waste of time or money. Let them know of your time plan & see if there attitude changes. I doubt it, especially if other couples are going along with the tour. They really know the island & you will get to see places & things you wouldn't if on your own. Above all, relax & enjoy this amazing island.  Be sure to visit us also.

Really important to remember that this is how they earn a living. That is important with most here who will help you. Always understand their motivation.  Keep it in mind and learn as much as you can!

How do I get a hold of Mike?

My wife and my biggest deal breaker is if we don't fell safe where we are, or if
it's iffy to jump in a car and go on a road trip for a couple three days. We love the
beauty of the island but have to feel at ease.....comments?

Which Mike? I canpost it or PM it, Whicheve you prefer.

The Mike that would pick you up at the airport.....ETC

Outside of my loss of vision, I have no other handicaps. ( some mental anger of course). I have no fear about walking the streets, in day time of course,   Please overlook my typos. I am not always aware of them.  Satey is perhaps the wrong word to use. Comfortbility is a more accurate word to use. A flqmboyant lifestyle will always attract those better left by the wayside.  Showmanship is better left to the circus.  Too often folks share way too much info, finances, budgets & not applying the three ...L's ....  Look....Listen....Learn.  So simple & yet so difficult for people to utilize.  Ego & the belief that things are the same as "home" brings the loss of reality. Yes, things are different here, but the same due diligence is required. Good contacts, just ask. I love this island.

I don't like and never will like snooty people, I don't need to know your finances
nor does anyone else need to know mine. Just enjoy life it's not a competition and
in the end your Faith will be the real reward!

Bruce you have chosen the correct train to ride through life. It doesn't matter what you paid for the ticket, it only matters that you got on board!

Amen!

It is, imho, a beautiful country with many natural wonders, beautiful places, and exciting things to experience. However, it is not a place for the naive. You can meet and like people, but you need to be aware that it is a different culture and a poor country. They don't really understand marketing from a Western concept, but they have a million ways to make a buck. There is almost always an angle. And they are not always bad or nefarious angles. Just a different mindset.

In my opinion, for 2 people in their 50's, who have never been to the DR, and don't speak Spanish, thinking about taking off on a road trip of several days, is very ambitious. Maybe you should visit on a bit more structured itinerary for your first trip. Then, when you are more comfortable, you can plan some adventures. Again, just my opinion.

Christie -  well said.  I agree with your comments!

What I'm saying is down the road if we do end up buying a property in the DR we would like
to be able to and without hesitation travel up or down the north coast and stay at different
places for a couple days. I understand we will have to first get used to how people and the the
country work, but I wouldn't buy till it feels right for us wether it does or doesn't happen time
will tell.

Said it before Bruce, you're goining about it the right way. Use the contacts I provided to get on the path to your goals.

Bruce you will be fine once you get used to things here. I did that as a single female!

👍👍 sounds right. We are finding our way too. I am lucky enough to have a Spanish speaking partner with me in our journey. And a fearless driver, I might add. I think he channels his Dominican self when he gets behind the wheel. 😂