African Americans

Hello  all,
I'm in the very beginning stages of my research for moving to the DR. My question is (I'm sorry if this is being repeated). How do Dominicans view African Americans? I grew up in Puerto Rico, and never had a problem. A co worker  was telling me that they don't like black people because they look like Haitians.  is this true can someone give me some insight?   thanks in advance!

Do you speak with a creole accent?  Or maybe sound more French?  I have only found problems with un-civil Hatians.  Never have I seen a problem with morenos. (dark skinned people). the problems arise with aggressive, loud, people.   Hunger is a great motivator for violence & crime.  it is like that old saying " Looks like a duck etc. Ass-holes are ass-holes & should be stricken from our lives.  In other words avoid idiots whenever & wherever you can wherever you reside in this world.  Dominicans welcome good people into their lives.  Don't f----k up & you will have a great reception In the DR.  Come spend some time & see for yourself. Welcome to the site & live.   There is no life after this one, at least no-one has returned for the affirmative.  It ain't no dress rehearsal.......

Thank for the insight! No I don't speak with Creole accent.  I speak with an...American accent I guess:). I was more concerned for my children. I'm taking a big risk moving abroad and i just want them to have a great experience as well.

Hello Jolo

Gypsy has told you pretty all :) I know by facts that its the other way around in suburbs like the Bronze and some other places in US where the black community tent to discriminate Latinos.

Cheers.

Read some of the history of the Dr. 1st. the Taino Indians,  killd off by the Spanish & disease, then the the importation of African slaves to work the sugar cane, the plantationsw were all on the low land coastal areas. the gradulation intrminglingling created mixed races accepted as normal.  Still you will find that as you go into the mountain villages you will find that the general population to be much lighter in color with many pure blood or almost pure Spanish descent.  I have never found a non-acceptance of a person based on color alone. It has always been based on the character of the person. In areas of many Hatians, it has been based on the level of crime & behavior of the Hatians involved.  Their home country has been a long time disaster.  This does not excuse poor actions or crime.  Your kids & you have nothing to fear in the DR.  Come & live without trepidation & enjoy the goodness of this island. It ain't the US, but can be a whole lot better.  Accept the cultural differences, embrace them & rejoice in them.  In other words, get your ass down here & see for yourself!!  I accept & reply to PM's.

I am so happy to hear this!  Like I said I am in the beginning stages of my research.  I was planning on moving back to Puerto Rico, but my hairdresser, who is Dominican speaks so highly of DR.  I have a federal job that allows me to work from home so I think I will spend 6 months there to see how it is.  In the mean time I will look over some of these threads to get some insight on where to live and things to do.  I'm so excited! Thanks for all your help!

Choose very carefully. I know many people like Cabarete and surroundings, but I prefer the south coast.

If you don't like one place, you can move to another! Plenty of choice.

You will have no issues because you are black, the "issues" will be that you are American.  You need to be aware as an expat you are considered rich and need to be careful.

Planner very true.  As and American (black, white, yellow or green) you are the gringo and many times with bull's eye painted on your back.

Bob K

Im Black American an have no Problems in DR.

Louis2015 welcome to the fourms.

Where in the DR are you living?

Bob K

With all due respect you are still pretty new here,  you may not even be aware yet of what is happening.  Do you speak Spanish?   How do you like Higuey?

higuey must of the time. but i travel all over with no problems

all due respect im not new to DR .

Go on Youtube an search an Black American have no problems.

Hmmmm ok. How many times you been here???

not about how many time. it how long the stay. you act like it your country
an first i went to class to open business in DR. Goverment have all kind of programs to help open business in Other country but its not free. im way a head on that Subject.

All my visit i live with DR people . This be my first Apartment alone

What class did you take and where?

Bob K

Those classes are an absolute joke. Reality is completely different.  That is what you will learn but it sounds like you already know everything.

I had a feeling they were a scam.

We learn by our mistakes...hopefully not big ones :D

Bob K

Bob many of these are run by the gov't  and I have first hand knowledge of a number of them.  Others are run to show you how "easy" it is and then when you need help cause it is not "easy" then who do you go to for help...... well them of course......

Opening and running a business here is anything but easy, it is not simple,  the instructions well frankly they don't actually work...... etc etc.

I have a feeling the show them how easy ones predominate.

Sort of like the land investment tours.

Bob K