Working conditions and labour laws in China

Hello,

Working conditions differ across the world, and as a working expat, it is important to know your rights as an employee.

Are working conditions standard in China? For instance, are working hours, paid time off, and sick leave different for expats v.s. locals? Do they differ based on the type of company (private, public, NGO)?

Are there laws in place regarding physical conditions of the office, employee protection, etc.?

What are some resources in China to inform people about labour laws and employee rights (websites, governmental associations)?

Have the general working conditions or labour laws changed in any way lately?

How do the working conditions and labour laws in China differ from your country of origin?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

As per latest regulations when 60 years old you have to leave China (except when married here) . No matter you bought a house or you opened a small company, you have to sell everything and leave.if a Chinese invest in a company or buy a house in our countries, we do not make them leave when they reach retirement age.
It is totally unfair.
If you want to stay having a company you wiuld need a work permit, which is denied to foreigners when 60 years old(chinese retirement age).
Even you buy a house and you have 60 years you cannot stay without work permit.
Probably is a flaw in the regulation, but there is no solution till they find out and change it. Why would they ask foreugners to invest gere abd buy properties if then they have to leave? Makes no sense
How would Chinese feel if they have to leave our countries when they get 65?
I have asked lawywes and they also think is a flaw ...but will they correct it? And when?

I work with people over 60. Are you sure you're right about this? And I know a business owner who is 71.

There are exceptions in Shanghai, Shenzen , Guangzhou and depending on how mych capital invested or if you have one of the special requirements guven by Central or lical Governements ( Phd in specific areas , Nibel Prize,...) in general "when they really need you"...But not for other jobs (teacher for example) or if you open a small or mid-size company even you have bought a house. Thete is a list of exceptions published
In cities such as Xiamen is almost impossible to obtain wirk visa...go home is the answer