Work in China - You need to be wise!

I have just spent the last 6 months attempting to hire teachers for our fall semester.  It's been the most frustrating process in all my years of hiring new staff.  There are many reasons for this but suffice it to say some are China issues and some are issues created by well meaning but unwise foreigners which have caused all of us to suffer.

If you plan to work in China (or you already work here) be aware that YOUR actions impact all of the foreign community.  Be wise and don't do stupid!  Here is what I mean:

1. Learn the laws, obey them (duh)  You can't be so sheltered that you are not aware China has a NO tolerance policy when it come to drugs...so don't do it.  Don't be around it, don't even think about it.  Drugs will get you into trouble...pot may be legal where you are FROM (key word) but it is NOT legal here.  If you are caught you will at best be deported, at worst go to a Chinese jail and trust me you do not want to be detained here.

Recently (and you can "google it") 16 foreigners were detained for drugs.  7 of them worked for EF as teachers and the rest were foreign students.  One of them was not only detained but charged.  It was big news here in the northeast of China.  It has created many problems now for hiring, and stricter rules are being imposed.  No one has been able to find out what drugs or the nationalities of the foreigners but suffice it to say it wasn't "wise" for them to do any drugs here.

2. Don't pick a fight, (yes, I have had to deal with this issue)...stay away from places where you know there will be trouble...expat bars where people get really drunk and fight...(duh)  If you pick a fight with a non-local it will be bad but you will probably just pay a fine...but should you hit a local person be prepared to pay a huge fine, be sent home, or even go to jail.  Not worth it, walk away.

3. One night stands with local girls (I shouldn't have to even go here but...) let me just say that at best you might get to meet her family and end up in wedding photos (yours).  At worst you could be accused of a crime and be sent to prison (I know of this happening).  Not worth it.

4. Politics and Religion - don't go to either topic and keep your opinions to yourself.  You are a guest here so it's not your business to comment.  If you are unwise and feel you must talk about either of these topics you may find yourself on the next plane home (yes it does happen)

5. Working on the wrong visa or working in violation of your contract.  In case you are NOT aware, if you have a valid contract to work and you have a Z-visa (work visa) under Chinese law you may ONLY work for that employer and no one else.  If you are caught working for another employer you will be fined and sent home.  Your employer knows this and if they send you to work for another company, they need to show you proof they are licensed to do this otherwise they are putting you at risk and they usually don't care.  They will pay a small fine and then find another body.  You will pay a larger fine and be sent home and blacklisted.  Don't do it.  You can't work with a business visa, tourist visa or student visa, all of these do not allow you to work (as a teacher) only a Z-visa permits you to work.  A business visa will limit your work to that company but not as a teacher, if you doubt it , check it out.

China has special licenses for after-school English programs, and only some companies have a license which allows them to hire foreigner teachers, if your company doesn't have this license they are in violation and you are at risk.  If in doubt you can ask them to show you the license but you will need someone who knows Chinese to tell you if it's correct.  Keep in mind some places will look the other way, but that doesn't make it legal.  If you work for a public school they too need to be permitted by the government to hire foreign teachers.  If they are not then you are working illegally and at risk.  (I have personal knowledge of this law).

Finally know the rules and the laws concerning your employment contract, it's your responsibility.  Know that if you end your contract early the employer doesn't need to give you the letter of recommendation, they should release you (that is another letter you need) but they may not give you that letter either.  If you do not get a letter of release and recommendation NO other company in China can hire you.  That is the law!  Other companies may say that they can hire you but it will not be legal and it won't be  Z-visa...they can't do it. 

If you end the contract and will leave China then your employer should give you both documents but you need to keep them in a safe place because if you lose them they can't be replaced and without them you can't get hired again in China.  (I know because I have someone I want to hire and he doesn't have this paperwork so we can't hire him!)  If however you want to at the end of the contract take another contract in China then your current employer needs to give these documents to the new employer (that is how to do it).  The two companies need to do the transfer (you don't need to be involved), they handle it and since your new employer wants you they will do what they must and the old employer needs to hand paperwork over to them.  Let them do it, stay out of it.

Finally, if you don't trust your employer you can report them to the PSB (the police who deal with foreigners) however be aware they will not be very helpful.  You can talk to your embassy but they rarely get involved with employment issues unless your current employer has your passport and will not return it, then they will care.

It is up to you to know the rules and to obey them.  Don't assume that what is legal in your country applies to China...that will not fly as an excuse.  China is a safe place to work and live but only if you are a considerate guest here and try to fit in.  If you are here to work, being a dedicated teacher (or whatever) then by all means China will welcome you.  However, if you are here because you think you can do whatever you like because you are a foreigner...go home, please.  You are the reason that many of us now suffer under stricter laws, your actions have caused us all to suffer, so please, go home.

@Irai is spot on.

I would like to add a few comments.

All those difficulties that you might experience, say getting a visa, or having to register with the local police, or suffer through some inquisitive questions are there for a REASON.

Once, or twice, a foreigner tried to break some laws (oh, I'm sure they thought of it as "bending the rules") and got caught. This FORCED the Chinese to enact really strict guidelines.

I've met these people.

They work under a fake Z-visa, when they have no degree or business teaching. They use some Chinese friends to help them skirt the laws, and they are on the constant look out for scams.

I will be totally honest about this.

You are making it really difficult for the rest of us. I have seen China go from a very easy happy-go-lucky hire on sight to a totalitarian scene that even George Orwell wouldn't believe. If you want to complain how frustrating it is working in China, then look straight at your countrymen. One year ago, two years ago, one fellow thought it was a good idea to do drugs with a student. Another thought that it was fine to molest an 11 year old. Another thought that HIV is no big deal and ended up passing it on to a member of a predominant local family.

I want to give everyone the best wishes, but...

DO NOT COME TO CHINA IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO OBEY THE LAW.

As far as politics go; tote the Chinese line and if you disagree then keep it to yourself. I know this is not popular, but I am like Irai. I am really getting tired of all the complexities that are being put on us long term expats because some selfish wanna-bes don't want to obey the law. Obey the law. Do not even consider coming to China unless you do so.

Sorry for the rant.