What do most people charge per hour for private English lessons?

Have had a few inquiries for private lessons and would like to know the going rate per hour  -  I am an accredited ESL teacher with many years of experience.

Where I live in China the absolute minimum is RMB 100 per hour but I have charged as much as RMB 400 per hour for one on one IELTS tuition. In Shanghai you could possibly get even more. Try testing the market and make a note of the reactions you get. Start high and if they balk at the cost then scale down your charges.

Thank you - any and all input is greatly  appreciated!

I've been living in Shanghai for about 10 years and have been tutoring part-time for much of that time.

The lowest these days is about 200, but that rate is usually for tutors who have limited experience and/or are non-native speakers.

300-450 is pretty common for experienced teachers, but hourly rates higher than that are also possible.

If you live in an area with a lot of rich clients and relatively few English teachers, Pudong being the most obvious example, then you can often charge a premium.

Thank you!!!

In Shenzhen, my going rate five years ago was 300 RMB/student and 200 RMB per students in a group of three or more.  The most I ever made was 500 RMB/student.

That rate drops off substantially once you leave the big city. Seriously you are lucky to get 150 to 200 in a second tier city.

Thank you - glad I am in  a big city!

Not quite, here in Hangzhou, most native teacher charge for 250-350 per hour for private tutor.

Thank you to the last two forum members for their input.  It is enlightening to see the variety of prices, but not surprising that the geographical location is such an Important factor.

Cities like Hangzhou,Chongqing and Wuhan has developed a lot in the last few years, they are considered as "New Tier 1 City"  It is possible to earn as much as in Shanghai and Shenzhen if you're good enough, plus there is less competition and lower living cost