Do landlords ask for proof of income before renting?

Hi again.

I've been tied up in some personal stuff, but this has been in the back of my mind for a while. Am cleaning out my house so I'll be free when the time comes.  hen I do move, I'd like it to be simple.

I had a two year contract job in Japan once, and lived in a building with 4 flats.  One day, we all got together and compared our rents.  They "just happened" to be exactly what our housing allowances were.  Some of us were gov't employees, some private contractors. The richest guy paid the most, a military couple paid the least, but all the flats were pretty much the same. Only the rents varied, based on housing allowances - the landlord took the whole amount, whatever it happened to be.

Does that kind of thing happen in Malta?  I found it corrupt, but you could not rent in Japan (where I was anyway) without documentation from your employer saying if they paid you a housing allowance and if so how much.  What if you aren't currently employed? 

Duffy

"Do landlords ask for proof of income before renting?" no, atleast I've never heard of it

nope. they don't really have any right to see your salary details, that's confidential info as far as i know :) malta hasn't reached japan's state of corruption yet! hey who knows maybe if they do, they will build/repair roads faster! :lol:

Myrkur wrote:

malta hasn't reached japan's state of corruption yet!

On what basis do you make that statement - have you been to Japan ??...Japan scores 7.8/10 on the curruption index done by Transparency International (higher is cleaner) v 7.6 for the UK and 5.6 for Malta - Malta is far worse than Japan, and is more currupt than Botswana on this index...

They do not generally ask to see proof of income. When we got our first flat we didn't even have jobs! Flats are advertised for a certain rent, whoever comes to visit. Try and knock them down a bit, but the rent will never be based on who you are/what you earn etc.

what's wrong with my statement?

if japan 7.8 points clean, it means its 2.2 points corrupt, while malta is 4.4 points corrupt. soo...when malta is 2.2 points corrupt maybe roads will be built better here? faster? more efficient? and maybe maltese astronauts will fly to space and find life on pluto... who knows! 

and by the way, have you?

"and by the way, have you?" - over 20 times on business

"what's wrong with my statement? ....malta hasn't reached japan's state of corruption yet!" implies Japan is more corrupt than Malta

Can we stop making defamatory comparison please. This might lead to silly clashes. Thanks for your kind comprehension...

so can't even complain about malta? :lol:

so you haven't find it corrupt even a little bit?
i find that rather strange considering they have such a large mafia organisation.

You wrongly get me... You can voice out your opinion so far that it is based on supported/reliable fact... And such kind of comments normally lead to silly disputes.

So happy blogging ;) and let see how it goes ... :whistle:

And I also hope that the thread doesn't go miles away off-topic...

hmm...well if in my opinion god exists...that's not a supported or reliable fact is it? so i can't voice that opinion? Just saying :P

Myrkur wrote:

so can't even complain about malta? :lol:

so you haven't find it corrupt even a little bit?
i find that rather strange considering they have such a large mafia organisation.

I think you are confusing Malta with Sicily

they - japan not malta

Myrkur wrote:

hmm...well if in my opinion god exists...that's not a supported or reliable fact is it? so i can't voice that opinion? Just saying :P

Ah, but which of the 1000s of gods man has believed in do you mean ? Zeus, Thor, Krishna, Allah etc

The god I believe in is the flying spaghetti monster

Every country has corrupt elements - I just consider them less prevalent in Japan than in Malta. Thats my opinion, which is backed up by the report I mentioned.

duffydoodle2 wrote:

- the landlord took the whole amount, whatever it happened to be.

I would not let on to any of the agents you are dealing with or the landlords what your income situation is or whether you are a Permanent Resident.
As rates tend to vary depending on how valuable you are as a tenant,so rather pretend poverty and get a better long term rate :).

Oooh so haggling is accepted?  If so, to what extent? i.e. if a property is 850 a month what offer would you go in at?

amanda x

Don't get your hopes up - we've never had much success with haggling here (despite being told to do it by lots of locals we know)...but maybe you're better at it than us.

On €850 you could try €750 but I wouldn't hold your breath, and of course if you like the place the temptation is to take it before someone else does at whatever price. That's what hapened to us with our current place, finally found somewhere we liked and didn't want to risk losing it....if you have plenty of options and time then you can afford to be choosey and haggle harder.

Tim

We usually deal with estate agents and they do the haggling... they generally know what sort of price the landlord will stoop to. Our place was advertised for 650 and we got it down to 635, so not a great difference but adds up throughout the year.

They'll often knock a bit extra off if its a year lease as opposed to six months. Always worth a try!!

I have never heard of people asking for wage details. As far as haggling is concerned I think there is definitely a little room for manoeuvre although we never had to do it. Every estate agent we visited said it is x-amount but I am sure we can get them down to x.
Seems like they have a deal with the landlords to up it just to knock it down?

Hello,

Thank you for the responses; I think I have a better feeling for the housing situation (I am the OP).

I did not mean to start a rabbit hole of slandering Japan.  They have enough problems right now and most of the Japanese I met were good people.  In retrospect, I think the landlords close to the American bases and large US corporations were connected to yakuza and knew we got housing allowances - which they saw as fair game.

But it's nice to know that doesn't go on in Malta.  If it's just negotiating, I can live with that.

Duffy

haggling in my experience living here and having had three flats is always worth a go.....and no we have never been asked for proof of income..ever

Owners never ask for proof of income. Some occasionally are known to ask for a copy of the work permit. Rent is negotiable depending on the rental period, season, and when the property was purchased. Recently bought apartments with hefty bank loans are not that negotiable, however if the market is slow, the lessee has more leverage...as always.