Gross salary or taxable pay for uk spouse visa

Hello everybody, im new in this forum so i hope someone can help me with this enquiry i have.

Last september i got my uk spouse visa rejected and it was devastating as we were so confident that we met every requirement for this visa, and we had to wait for a whole year to have all the requirements, anyway it was rejected just for one single reason: FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT, despite my husband earns 18,700 pounds per year, this is 1,558.33 per month.

My husbands GROSS SALARY is 1,558.33 every single month and this is shown on his payslips, after his GROSS SALARY he gets deducted his pension contribution and this comes down to 1,527 as taxable pay, this is also shown on his payslips. So ECO took into account taxable pay instead of GROSS SALARY. I was wondering if this is actually how they calculate the 18,600 to meet the financial or they made a mistake in the calculation.

I have read the whole appendix FM and i didnt find anything about it, they just keep mentioning gross salary so this is quite confusing for me.

We want to reapply but with a strong employment letter, where his manager mentions all about his gross pay  and the way to read the payslips, very very detailed as well as my husbands cover letter, he will write a very detailed letter explaining very carefully his salary, we are even thinking to higlight his gross salary on his payslips.

i would appreciate if someone has knowledge about this to give me an advice or opinion about our situation. i would appreciate it with all my heart!

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've just read the Financial Requirement document that is referenced in the Family visa application part of the UK Gov website (link).  To download the document I'm referring to, use this link; you'll need a PDF reader to open the document.

In the document, section 3.1 describes what you need to do to meet the requirement, it says (para 3.1.4) "Where the gross (pre-tax) amount of any income cannot be properly evidenced, the net (post-tax) amount will be counted, including towards a gross income requirement."  So, was there something in the evidence, like only a few months where he's been in receipt of that sufficient pay scale, that may have led the regulator to use the net sum?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've just read the Financial Requirement document that is referenced in the Family visa application part of the UK Gov website (link).  To download the document I'm referring to, use this link; you'll need a PDF reader to open the document.

In the document, section 3.1 describes what you need to do to meet the requirement, it says (para 3.1.4) "Where the gross (pre-tax) amount of any income cannot be properly evidenced, the net (post-tax) amount will be counted, including towards a gross income requirement."  So, was there something in the evidence, like only a few months where he's been in receipt of that sufficient pay scale, that may have led the regulator to use the net sum?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you Cynic for your welcome and for your answer as well, he has been earning this amount (1,558.33) since this January 2018 so 9 months so far, all his payslips show the 1,558.33 as gross income then it comes a minus 31 from his pension contributions that come to 1,527 this figure is also shown on his payslips as TAXABLE PAY, from this 1,527 taxes and NI are taken giving as a result a NET PAY or money he takes homes.

we sent last time 6 payslips from Jan to Jun and they were all showing this 3 amounts, Gross salary 1558.33, minus Pension contribution 1,527 and the deduction of taxes and NI from this last figure giving a NET FIGURE.

We sent his managers letter, a salary review letter from the company saying he will earn 18,700 pa from january 2018 and a salary review new letter saying he will continue with this salary thanks to his effort and good job.

so GROSS SALARY PRE TAX is 1558 not 1527 so we dont know what else to do about this