Language barriers in Denmark

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Denmark.

What is the official language in Denmark, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Denmark and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Denmark on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

From what I've seen and heard, the only other 'popular' language in Denmark is English. Other than that, I heard people talking in Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Russian etc. but no single one would stand out.
I believe that it is crucial to learn Danish if you plan to live here for more than 3 months, at least the basics. There is a lot of information on government portals, supermarkets, street signs etc. that are in Danish only and we'd be lost without Google to help us. However, I had no problem speaking with locals, both in or out of my work environment, as most people do speak English and are very helpful, at least in my experience.
I have been here for less than a month, so I still lack a must-have phrase book, though I really should start working on one.

Best regards,
Magnaterra

What is the official language in Denmark, and what are the other popular spoken languages?
* Danish is the official language. I have yet to find someone ( in 8 years of living here)  I needed to talk to that did not speak English. I speak English, French and Dutch though I have never heard French or Dutch spoken by anyone other than tourists.

Is it possible to live in Denmark and get by without speaking the language?
* Yes

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?
* The problem rarely arises. Supermarket shopping can be conducted in silence. Danes rarely chat over the garden fence with neighbours or ‘pop in' for a chat.

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?
* Hi, yes, no & thank you.

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Denmark on a daily basis without speaking the language?
* Don't worry needlessly about it and relax. My employer, a large Danish company with a global reach had English as its working language and I was activley discouraged from learning Danish.