Best season to move to Denmark

Hello,

Many expats choose to move to Denmark at a specific time of the year, and we invite you to share some tips about the best seasons to move to the country.

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Denmark, and why?

How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Denmark?

During which season did you move? How did it go?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

From personal and friends experiences I have to say that spring is the best time to move to Denmark, especially if the target is Copenhagen.

Rent in Copenhagen is a huge problem for newcomers during most of the year, but especially approaching autumn when there's a high influx of foreign students moving here to study. This, of course also has a nasty impact on prices. This chaotic search for accommodation can start from mid July and last well into early winter. This is followed by another turbulent period for housing during January-February, with a new influx of exchange students. By late-spring and early summer the housing situation in and around the capital is more or less stable and it is expected that more places will become available as this is the time when most students plan to depart. So in terms of housing I'd say late April to late June is the best time to be looking.   

In terms of job-seeking, I also find that late-spring and early summer are the best times. This is due to each years rising tourist influx during the summer. So the majority of service-oriented businesses will be hiring during this period (restaurants, hotels, hostels, cleaning companies, tourist agencies, etc.). The opposite effect happens, again, during autumn due to the higher number of newcomers (students) seeking part-time jobs. SO competition is on the rise and demand for employees starts to drop.

To conclude, late April to early June should offer the best opportunities in terms of job seeking and accommodation for newcomers to Denmark, with the sweet spot being in May.

Odyssian