Doctors in Manaus

I'm looking for a doctor in Manaus to deliver our son. We've heard of some good hospitals like Maternidade and Santa Júlia but I've also heard that you need to set things up  with the doctor vs the hospital.

Anyone have any pointers on how to start the conversation/communication with the doctor?

Santa Júlia is a good hospital, maybe the best in the city. 
Rather than try to sift through doctors to find one who practices there,  the most efficient thing to do would probably be to set it up through the hospital.  Go to Reception, and tell them you'd like to set up an appointment with an OB/GYN to deliver your child.  As a private patient, they'll set it up very quickly.  Once you meet with the doctor, you should be able to arrange everything. 
Private patients at Santa Júlia are required to pay in advance, immediately before the appointment, in cash only -- not even debit cards are accepted.
If you want to communicate directly with the hospital, there's a "Fale Conosco" option on their website:
http://hospitalsantajulia.com.br/

Thank you. I've been talking with some contacts of mine in the area and they mentioned how it customary to contact the doctor before the hospital. That's why I was pursuing that route

AngryBrows wrote:

Thank you. I've been talking with some contacts of mine in the area and they mentioned how it customary to contact the doctor before the hospital. That's why I was pursuing that route

What they probably mean is that it's customary for Brazilians to work through their informal networks, which is true.  Unfortunately, as expats, you probably don't have one, or at least a very robust one.  If they can refer you to someone who practices in a hospital you want to go to, that's a great idea, and probably preferable.  Otherwise, starting at the hospital end may be less frustrating and time consuming than cold-calling a bunch of doctors to ask what hospitals they practice in, and whether they're taking new private patients.

*ETA*  Sorry that I can't offer a referral.  I'm the American half of a Brazilian-American same-sex couple, so we don't have a call for OB/GYNs.  Most of my husband's family uses SUS, so we don't have anybody to ask.  What I've described is the way that we find our doctors. :-)