Adding a fathers name to a Brazilian birth certificate

Hi, I'm new to this site, living in Brasil and trying to help a friend of mine. How does he get his name added to his 4 year old daughters birth certificate? For some strange reason his former partner was told not to put his name on the certificate (he is American). The space for a fathers name is blank, and I'm wondering if this will cause his daughter any problems in the future. By way of the fact that she is a daughter of an American citizen she would also be able to apply for American citizenship.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steevers

If a child, is already registered in the name of the mother solely, the law permits that the father can officially recognize paternity (Reconhecimento de Paternidade) in the Cartório the child will then be issued with a new Birth Certificate with the father's information and if so chosen the child's name can be changed to the father's surname. You would go to the Cartório where the birth was registered.

Jim

Steve,

With all the political turmoil in the USA, have your friend check out your statement:

"By way of the fact that she is a daughter of an American citizen she would also be able to apply for American citizenship."

If I was your "FRIEND", I would get that American citizenship ASAP.  As a father, he has a responsibility to take care of and LOVE his daughter.  Things change over time, but a FATHER's responsibility does not change.  People die in car accidents, murder, etc. etc. on a routine basis here in Brasil and in the USA.  Tell your "FRIEND" to take all of his mickey excuses and get his daughter the American citizenship AGORA!!!   American citizenship is for life and there are no annual dues required.  I have a lot of Brazilian friends begging me on a routine basis to help them get a job in the USA.  If the person does NOT have American citizenship, then it is almost no possibility to get a job in the USA unless you have special talents, a lot of money or a direct WhatsApp number to GOD.

IF your "FRIEND" has to get on his knees and kiss the mother's ass of his daughter to get her permission, then so be it.  It is the FATHER's responsibility, not the daughter!!!  The daughter has no idea how important the American citizenship is.

Children are a present from God.  I learned the hard way.   Every day I am more proud of my daughter and wish ONLY the best for her!!

IF your "FRIEND" has any other questions, we can do a FREEEEEEE Skype video call.

Have a nice day!

John from Macae

Steevers.
Macae is correct. The American citizenship is important also. I believe you need to go for te name on the Brazilian birth Certificate first then he will able to get her American Citizenship.  All of this stems on cooperation from his former partner.

Jim

Thanks for your help with this matter, will follow both of your advices, Steve