Trouble getting CPR (Address issue), Looking for a solution

Hi Expats,

My request for a CPR (first time issuance) has been rejected twice this month.

I just came to Bahrain a month back and i have completed the bio metrics and the medical examination already.

First reason: Landlord and tenant has the same address on their CPR. Tenant is a friend and i am currently living with him.

Second reason: Tenant has dependents under his name. Again, tenant is a friend and i intended to live with him in the short run.

Did somebody faced the same?

Looking forward to solutions (if any).

Appreciate it. TIA.

Landlord and tenant can share the same address.  That is not an issue provided tenant has a lease agreement with the landlord under his name and manages to get a municipality letter.

I assume you are not a tenant i.e. you are not renting the place from the landlord and are actually staying on a personal basis with the legal tenant?

If so, that is where the problem is. 

Think from the angle of the authorities; you have no legal proof of residence, you are not related to the person you are staying with i.e. he is not a blood relative and furthermore, he already has a family living there (in their eyes, that makes it even more awkward that you as a "stranger" are living with them).

As-is, there is absolutely no chance they will give you a CPR.  The potential ways to get one are to:

1) Redraft the lease agreement as a joint lease and get yourself included on it and/or get written permission from landlord for your friend to "sub-let" to you (needs to be registered at municipality and letter produced accordingly by them for CPR).  But the premises must have a sufficient number of rooms to cater for it.  And with a family living there, not very likely that it will work.  And most landlords don't agree to sub-letting and the municipality actively discourages this
2) Rent a place for short term and use that address to get a CPR.  Then vacate that property giving notice - you will lose your deposit but will have a CPR.  However, you will have to do the same every time you want to get the CPR updated for something or the other - whatever update happens, they still ask for municipality letter even if the address remains the same

Most people who are in similar situation to yours, start out differently i.e. they actually get the CPR whether through living on their own or in company provided accommodation and then move in with their friend to save money and without the knowledge of the landlord. And never get the CPR updated until or unless they change employment or passport - and then they go through the whole hassle again.

Hi Xtang,

Many thanks for your detailed response.

You are right, i am living with a legal tenant. Just a correction, he is single and living alone. There is a vacant room which i am currently living in.

The objection actually was "landlord and tenant had the same address"

What do u recommend?

Depends on what the real issue is.

In some cases, the landlord "CPR ADDRESS" ends up being in the same which causes an issue.  It happened to me once but slightly differently.  I was getting my CPR updated for the new passport and the guy spotted this in the system (and I had been living at this place for years and this happened for some reason, only a few months ago).  Unlike you, I was doing this through connections so the guy had me call the landlord, spoke to him on the phone, took his address out of the system and asked him to get his CPR updated.  In 5 minutes, I was out of the office with an updated CPR.

If this is the issue, then your friend needs to take his municipality letter to get ON the address.  If they tell him the same then he needs to tell his landlord to change his address on his CPR.   After this, you can try again and see what happens. 

Since there is no family and there are two rooms, there is a higher chance for it to work vs. what I told you before as per my understanding of the situation from your original post.  100% possible if you have a joint lease with municipality letter.

Great, can you take me through the process how the owner can change his address. He has to physically appear?

He has to provide his new proof of address either physically or through an agent. And update card chip.

Hi Xtang,

I have heard that there are some clearing agencies out there, that can get the job done.

Does it work this way?

Yes there are lots of "document clearing" agencies which can help with this.  You can google them.  But your sponsor would need to authorise them.

Cpr address

@ahmed.yousuf.abdullah

Hi, have you get this sorted out and did you work with a clearing agent that solved your issue?? Please update...

@cinemasevda

Hello, it's been 2 years since he last visited the website.

I suggest you post on recent threads so that active members may guide you.

Regards

Bhavna

Hi everyone, I am new to Bahrain and has been a full month. I have my work and residence permit but facing big problem to obtain CPR due to this never ending address problem in this country. I had no idea about this and rented a flat from a big realtor. I paid them to obtain municipality certificate. With my own efforts I was able to get the municipality certificate but now the problem is the address cannot be found on LMRA website. The employer has also no idea and not really so helpful. With my own efforts, I got the information that the address needs to be added/updated to the IGA website. Do you know anyone who had a similar problem, was able to solve maybe with a document clearing agent etc. I am really looking forward to your replies as I feel desperate since I spent so much effort but no result despite I have the municipality certificate.

As mentioned earlier, your employer needs to take it up with LMRA, i doubt anyone else can be of help. I am sure if anyone has faced this issue earlier they will reply.

Hello everyone,

Please note that posts 12 and 13 have been added to this thread of the Bahrain forum.

All the best

Bhavna