Starting a retirement plan

looking to retire soon so we are very interested in what experiences Canadian expats are having in the Dominican. We recently met a real estate agent in Punta Cana and she recommends Bavaro.
cost of living? safety? locals? overall life
my girlfriend would be looking to work as she is not ready to retire for a few years but I will have a full Police pension.
any tips would be helpful. thanks

Welcome to the forums. It's fairly easy to retire here. Your girlfriend will need residencia in order to work here and jobs do not pay much. Jobs will be few and far between in Bavaro area.

Don't rely on a realtor who only works certain areas for recommendations.  Visit this country several times and see as much as you can. Bavaro may be perfect for you, but it also may not! Check it all out.

Lots of threads full of info for you. There is one on residencia honey!  Ask lots of questions and start threads as you need and want!

Thank you

Howdy Neighbour,
I'm in Brampton and have a condo in Bavaro.
It was a hasty decision, but don't regret it since it at least gets me moving to retire in the DR (2020), but I would do it differently now, having spent some time there. I suggest renting in some different places to find what meets your criteria before you buy.  Bavaro is nice but it is the center of tourism.

Feel free to PM me with a list of questions, and I can share some of my experiences, maybe even do a meet up.

Thank you

Best advice someone gave me was to rent for a year before making any decision about buying anything. You never know if you're going to like the area or the country and then you're stuck. The other piece of advice, was to never put a deposit down until you're ready to move in and are absolutely sure of your decision. Deposits are most times non-refundable. Good luck...

Thanks