Visa Options

Hi All
I am intending to live in PP for approx 12 months,  I will want to rent long term, so given that,  I wont be able to do that on a tourist visa from what I have read. 
I am not really looking to work or start a business so will I still  be able to obtain a business visa so I can stay this length of time?
What are my  options, or do I just say I am a freelancer and enter under that pretext so I can apply for a business visa, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Kaye

Hello Kaye.

Not worth to get through the process of being a registered freelancer, but also not possible to have a business extension of stay when you're not working.

The best option is you come in on a Ordinary visa, valid 30 days.
As soon as you are settled but within two weeks you go to an agent and apply for a EG [general] extension of stay, for max. six months. After that you will have to leave the country but can come back and do the same again.
That would be a total of 14 months, so it covers your one year stay.

If you would be 55 or older you could easily get a retirement extension of stay, for a year. Even if under 55 you can apply for this but you need to proof your retirement status [e.g. disability pension] and you will have to proof income from outside the country.

Last option is a student extension of stay [ES], for which you have to be enlisted at a registered educational institute. ES is also for one year max.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thank you for your reply Joe, I am 55 so maybe the retirement visa will be my best option.  I assume this will totally exclude me from working in any way whatsover if I go down this route?  I dont intend to work at this stage, but maybe further down the line volunteering or part time work of some sort might be a consideration.
Appreciate your advice.

Hi looking to move long term to Sihanoukville  on a Retirement Visa living in Vietnam at present ,could you recommend a good Visa Agent Regards Barrie

ozbaz wrote:

Hi looking to move long term to Sihanoukville  on a Retirement Visa living in Vietnam at present ,could you recommend a good Visa Agent Regards Barrie

Answer on your pm you find in a pm I sent you.

Cheers.

Joe

kayenewland wrote:

Thank you for your reply Joe, I am 55 so maybe the retirement visa will be my best option.  I assume this will totally exclude me from working in any way whatsover if I go down this route?  I dont intend to work at this stage, but maybe further down the line volunteering or part time work of some sort might be a consideration.
Appreciate your advice.

Hi Kaye.

Indeed you're not allowed to work or volunteer on a retirement extension of stay.

I advise to come over first and get a retirement EOS, find accommodation and relax.

Then if you really want to work, you will have to jump the hoops of the law, change your EOS for a EB business EOS, get a work permit and be on the quota list of foreign workers from your employer.

It's all possible, just stick to the rules and all will be fine.

Cheers.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Hello Kaye.

Not worth to get through the process of being a registered freelancer, but also not possible to have a business extension of stay when you're not working.

The best option is you come in on a Ordinary visa, valid 30 days.
As soon as you are settled but within two weeks you go to an agent and apply for a EG [general] extension of stay, for max. six months. After that you will have to leave the country but can come back and do the same again.
That would be a total of 14 months, so it covers your one year stay.

If you would be 55 or older you could easily get a retirement extension of stay, for a year. Even if under 55 you can apply for this but you need to proof your retirement status [e.g. disability pension] and you will have to proof income from outside the country.

Last option is a student extension of stay [ES], for which you have to be enlisted at a registered educational institute. ES is also for one year max.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

If one is under 55 and has no fixed income but has a certain amount of savings in bank (with proof),  can he/she apply for ER EOS?

Hello.

It is up to you to convince the Immigration officer that you have sufficient funds to live here.

Usually they want to see 3 months of bank slips that shows income coming from abroad on a monthly basis.

So if you can manage that it would be an advantage.

Good luck.

Joe

Hi Joe,
Could you clarify this for me please.
Am I allowed to do any volunteer work if i am in Cambodia on a retirement visa,  I have been told I can by a expat womens group,  but I seem to recall reading somewhere  saying it was't allowed.
thanks
Kaye

kayenewland wrote:

Hi Joe,
Could you clarify this for me please.
Am I allowed to do any volunteer work if i am in Cambodia on a retirement visa,  I have been told I can by a expat womens group,  but I seem to recall reading somewhere  saying it was't allowed.
thanks
Kaye

Hello Kaye.

It is NOT allowed to work when on a retirement extension of stay, whether or not volunteering or not.

Cheers.

Joe