Is 12000 MYR / Month enough for a family of 2 ?

Hello Everyone,

I have an industry experience of close to 6 years in IT industry. I got an offer from a MNC for Malaysia location of 12000 Myr / month for a 1 year contract (which they stated as extendable).

My wife and I both are working in full-time employment as of now in India and earn a decent salary ( Total Family Income excluding taxes is approx. ~8700 MYR/ month in India.

Is it a good option to get a global experience at 12000 MYR pay ?

My areas of concerns are:

1. How much I would be able to save per month If I live in KL with my wife. I'll look for a decent standard of living for both of us. However, I don't intend to own a car or spend on other luxuries. By "decent" I mean, a 1 BHK apartment for rent with expenditure on utilities, transportation and entertainment.

2. Will my  spouse be able to work in Malaysia on dependent visa ? How easy will it be able to her a job there ?

Its OK salary to have a good standard of living, but your wife will probably find it difficult to find work. She would have to give up her dependent pass and get a job offer and employment pass. Only a few professional areas hire foreigners, mainly IT.

You  can live for under RM5,000 per month depending on cost of housing. But tax will be 28% for all of 2018 and until July 2019 (partially refundable once tax resident)

https://www.pwc.com/my/en/publications/ … oklet.html

You can see your resident tax rate on page 7 of the above brochure (based on annual salary) There are some tax-free deductions but if you work on RM9,000 less than annual salary that is a reasonable indication

Hi Ankit - Did you both move. Had your wife found a job? I am also in a similar situation and thinking what to do next.