Shipping household goods to Ecuador

Hello everyone,

I'm in the midst of a veritable nightmare trying to get my shipment out of the port in Guayaquil.

While everything I've read and been told was that you have a one time, tax free shipment of all your household goods if you get it here within 6 months of being a resident, this has not been nearly as simple as it sounds.  It was also recommended to me to buy all the new stuff (TV, washer, etc) that might be needed and add to the container.  Never was anything mentioned about there being a limit on the number of anything, like how many shirts or vacuum cleaners, or hats, you can bring, nor on there being a dollar value limit on the entire contents of the container.

I hired SDC International movers and paid for "full service" which was supposed to include not only the packing and shipping from the US to Ecuador; but, also a complete inventory and all the necessary forms required by the destination country.  That is not what happened.  None of the paperwork was correct.  All my boxes were ripped open, contents tossed about, sometimes on the ground, three different times at the port.  Items were damaged.  I had some carefully wrapped ornaments and memorabilia from events in my life.  They showed no respect for someone's property at all!.  In addition, my Mom had just died, so I added her stuff to the container thinking I would donate it down here, to Fundación Matilde, instead of just giving it to the Salvation Army there.  They confiscated the box (ie stole it) saying since it was women's clothing, they wouldn't allow me to have it.  The moving company insisted that to get the shipment through customs the total value of the shipment had to be less than $5000 - outrageous, that's less than the cost to ship it!  The insanity of it all goes on and on!

The container has been in Guayaquil since the end of May and my stuff is still there.  The shipping company isn't doing anything.  Do any of you have any suggestions on how I might resolve this?  Who can I see?  Where can I go?  I'm at a loss.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frustrated in Quito

I'm sorry to hear you are crossing these difficulties. Somehow, I believe you got some wrong information.
I must add, you are not the only one complaining dealing with Ecuador Customs specially in The Guayaquil Port.
I for one, had no issues at all, however, my items were sent to the Port of Esmeraldas (over 2 yrs. ago) and it took less than 48 hrs. to have it released thanks to the help of ASESORALMIL (main office in Quito), they did all the paperwork.
Find attached their location.  The only drawback is their lack of English.

ASESORAMIL
Av. De los Shyris N35-71 y Suecia
Edificio Argentum Oficina 306
Tercer piso
Telef. 3333489

Carlos Játiva
093 98310 3364

Hopefully, they will help you to resolve your present issue.

MM

I understand that the problem is getting worse instead of better, thanks to a new decree that took effect on June 1.  I am truly sorry that you are going through all this, and recommend that you contact the shipper that got my personal belongings released from the Guayaquil port on May 18 and successfully delivered to me. 

I highly recommend that you contact Sandra Baquero
Sanestar International Shipping Services
“We are a Family Moving Families”
www.sanestarinternational.com
Phone 099.969.0583 | Whatsapp: 593.999.690583
<[email protected]> /<[email protected]>

In addition to fine service her English is excellent and she is a superb problem solver. 

I can't guarantee that she can fix this, but it's worth a try.  Good luck.

Sorry about your trouble, this happen to many expats hiring international moving companies in his country of origin, international moving companies that doesn't have a clue about special Ecuadorian Customs regulations.

The main and most important document is the detailed packing list. If your packing list is not done using the Ecuadorian Customs template you get into trouble and then you have to open all your boxes and items and make the right packing list at the port. This takes a lot of time, effort and money.

Once your packing list is complete, then you, or your customs agent, ask for another inspection to verify the container contents are properly listed.

You have an additional problem now, and you are not the only one. The new law about household goods import was on effect on June 1st. This law ONLY applies to returning Ecuadorians,  The government "forgot" about other people's imports so now, all the household imports from foreigners are stuck at the port until Customs "patch" the new law.

I was at Guayaquil port yesterday trying to get a clear answer about this but they don't know when the new law it will be ready, maybe in a couple of weeks.

So, meanwhile you have to seat and wait but we're filling by our lawyer a complain about this problem as the containers arrived BEFORE June 1st and the new law shouldn't apply.

I will use your post to post further information about this issue.

Vicente

Just an update for everybody.

Ecuadorian Customs release a new rule for expats household imports to Ecuador that said the old regulation from 2013 is back and active, so based on this one, expats can bring his household imports duty free.

If you need more information about importing household to Ecuador you can contact me.

Vicente

HI,

My husband and I will be shipping our house hold items in less than a year.  We  understand that it is best to use a company out of Ecuador for moving.

What do you think is the best company?  What is the best port to ship to?  Does the company handle the packing and shipping from the USA and the list of all items on Ecuadorian forms? Is there a maximum value allowed to bring in? I didn't think that there was but now after reading posts, I'm not sure.

We plan on brining our tools, kitchen items (all), and our bed. Should we bring a washer, dryer and vacume too?  We have some furniture in our home there and planned to buy house furniture in EC.

Any information is helpful.  We want to plan ahead so we know the process and costs.

Thanks,
Robin and Joel

Hello Robin and Joel,

Is better to get a moving company in Ecuador as they know the local regulations and procedures.
International moving companies, unless they have a solid and professional agent in Ecuador, don't have all the information about requirements and "tips" to ship household goods to Ecuador.

I you need further information you can contact me at [email protected]

You can ship tools too, as far as the tools are like for home use and don't have many of the same item. They can be used or new, the same applies for appliances.

There is many details and information to be share just for this posts so I think is better by email, mostly related to the way the packing list is done, every container is inspected at the port of Guayaquil, Ecuador main port, so is very important that the information is 100% accurate.

Vinny

Thanks, Vinny.
I will email you later with some quetions!  Then you will have our email address.  My husband I appreciate all information that makese the transition easier.
Robin

Shipping is indeed a nightmare.  You are better off buying new here in Ecuador.  There seems to be a high level of corruption. 

I hired an Ecuadorian shipper recommended on this site which turned out to be a big mistake.  My things were mishandled and late to all destinations in the US.  Fortunately one of the storage services I had to hire in addition to the service i already paid for was truly an angel and helped get everything crated appropriately and on a ship here to Ecuador.  This was a service that was supposed to be handled by the shipper I hired here.  But I really did not have much of choice.  My home was here in Quito, and my stuff was in limbo in the US.

I knew of the six month residency requirement within arrival of your items and in fact had to keep a deposit here in an Ecuadorian bank in the event of non-compliance.  The bank was a bank, and with a specific banker mandated by the shipper.  I received my residential VISA two weeks after moving here so that was not an issue.  The shipper knew I received my VISA and claimed to work closely with the attorney I used to obtain my VISA, so I thought I was all set.  What he did not tell me was that I was required to take that VISA to a Ministry here in Ecuador (which actually I doubt and I think he was banking on the idea that I would believe it would be handled by him), and because I did not, my bank account was pretty much cleaned out by the government (shipper?) costing me more than the shipping and the value of the shipment combined.   He notified me of the Ministry requirement two weeks after the deadline.  Two weeks before might have been nice.  The total cost was nearly $12,000 for $4000 value of items shipped.

I cannot prove it but it pretty much stinks like corruption. I am not mentioning the shippers name because he threatened me and told me I would be in "big trouble" if I did.  Just a word of caution. 

Oh and it arrived to my home almost two months after the scheduled delivery date.  But I did get my things pretty much in tact.

I am happy to see his name is no longer mentioned on this site by anyone.  So maybe people are on to him.

Who is that person that you are referring to? Would you please PMme his name?

Hi Vinny! I just want to make sure I understand. My husband and I are moving to Ecuador, starting with the 24 month Visitors Visa. The tax-free household item rule, that is just for people who are residents or will be in six months? Is this correct?
We are working through was to bring initially.
Thank you!

Historically, a visa-holder was given a six-month window during which time s/he received the tax-free right to ship into Ecuador any permitted goods.  Used cars are not permitted.  A dozen widescreen televisions (considered resale items): also NG.

Check with SENAE (customs) or your attorney that the newish-style visitor visa you applied for gives you this right .. and ask when (in relation to the date on the visa), the shipment window opens.

The multiple laptops and screens you earlier wanted to bring in probably could get through if the window is available to you, although the dogs of SENAE might take a bite.   This part of the shipment would be a gray area.

Only ten percent of arriving new Expats can successfully maneuver such shipments on their own without encountering baffling or emotionally-punishing or unexpected developments.  Consider using an Ecuadorian immigration attorney to supervise from start-to-finish.

cccmedia

Thank you. Yes, looks like there are a lot of problems at the ports right now with rules changing, etc.
I just read yesterday that some of the lawyers are unable to keep up!
A lot of "tax" stranded containers.
We will be selling most everything, making two trips and that should take care of what we have.
Appreciate your reply! :)

Sandra Baquero was somewhat useless. She did not send me a quote. Did not respond to follow-up emails I sent.

Went to Paul Wilches of Relocation Services of Ecuador. He was more thorough.

We decided to sell everything in our condo as "Turnkey" and move with only suit cases. Why? "Turnkey" increased the sale value of our condo. Saved us the $10k + shipping costs. Between the increased value of the Turnkey, and the saving of shipping fees; we should be able to furnish our new condo in Manta - nicely!
My husband and I used Sandra Baquero's company to move our things in a 40 ft container to Ecuador.  We could have not been more please with the service we received.  Everything was upfront with costs.  When there was a change, we were notified immediately. 

There were changes with the shipping dates to Ecuador due to problems with the shipping container shortages and time needed in customs.  However, all was completed very professionally and we were very happy.

Sandra Baquero was with the team delivering our container in Southern Ecuador. They were stuck by mudslides and natural delays, but all arrived safe, sound, and items in great condition!

I talked with other companies initially about moving to Ecuador and none were as honest and helpful as Sandra with Sanestine International Moving Company.  I have spoken with other ex-pats that moved belongings to Ecuador.  There were so many complaints, extra charges, and poor service.  The only people who did not have complaints were those that chose to go with Sandra Baquero's company.

My husband and I would not recommend any other company for any international move.  I understand that some companies are not being honest with people moving and slander other companies.  This is according to first-hand conversations with others.  Some are just outright liars.  We strongly suggest that people rethink and do real research that may consider using any other company.

We are 100% satisfied with Sanestar International moving company and Sandra Baquero.

Robin Lynn and Joel
@RobinJoel Well,

She apparently did not want to help us move. In this instance - she was not honest or reliable and definitely not thorough. However, she helped us realize that - if I pay $30k for furniture in the U.S.; and then pay another $14k to ship it, reduce the price of my condo to "unfurnished" on top of waiting over 30 days; that we were leaving way too much money on the table. This equates to about $60k. Out of that $60k; I will take $30k to furnish our new place in Manta. Net $30k to the good for us plus not waiting for shipment to arrive from the U.S.
@Michael-2018

HI,

I don't know what happened with your shipment but if the packers did not do the inventory correctly and honestly, you have to stay on top of the packers with any moving company, then that can and often will cause problems with Customs.  When packers mess up in the USA and a not-so-nice Custom's official is given your container, there can be problems that no one can just fix.  It is a political business in Ecuador.

My husband and I had horrible packers in the USA and the owner of the company did not really care.  I tried talking to the lead packer several times and the lead packer did not care.  I wanted to fire him, but trucking was a major issue in the USA due to fuel costs and other governmental harassment, it would have been weeks or months before we got another packing company or team of packers.  He even cut the packing days from three to two days! 
I called the USA packing company several times to no avail.  Literally, so many excuses that I can't count them all!

But, I also call Sandra Baquero with Sanestine International Movers and made her aware of the problems.  When our container got to Ecuador (with a few delays due to the international shipping situation), she handled everything beautifully! 
We got our shipment of a 40ft container with very minimal breakage all the way to Southern Ecuador!  Sandra came with her moving team and all was delivered and put in the proper locations without any concern!  Sandra at Sanstine International was the best.

We talk to many people who move here.  Her company by far is the most highly rated.  I know "complainers" get the most "press" so I tend to ignore them and do the research myself and it paid off in spades!

If it weren't for Sandra Baquero and her company, I think we would have had problems with Customs, as well for weeks.

Robin Lynn