Little-Known Places in Ecuador For Expats to Consider Moving

In his latest mass-email and video, "Mr. Second Passport" --
USA expat Dom Buonamici -- recommends that new arrivals
consider a town about 20 miles northeast
of Quito where the Quito Zoo was relocated.

The presence of the zoo is not the main selling point of Guayllabamba,
at least in Dom's email and YouTube offering.

The point is that Guayllabamba is at an elevation of about 7,000 feet,
thousands of feet lower than the capital, and thus is warmer than Quito
(about 9,500 feet above sea level) or Cuenca.

Dom describes Guayllabamba as a "warm dry mountain town" and
a "warmer secret alternative to Cuenca/Quito."

Also, it's near Quito's international airport.

Search at YouTube.com  mr. second passport secret alternative

My comment:  This town is best for an Expat or Expat family with a car ..
and who don't mind the absence of other English-speaking folks
or designed-for-Expats events.

cccmedia

Don't buy anything until you live here for awhile. And preferably live near where you are considering buying.

I'm actually looking for a small town, and I don't expect anyone to speak English there.  I need internet, a cool, shady place to lounge, peace and quiet, a few little fruit trees and some potted herbs, a private spot for the hot tub, and a fairly cheap ride to a place where I can get medical/dental care.  Acreage would be a plus.  A dry season would be a minus.  Dog packs would be a minus.  A cellar or a cistern would be a plus.  A house designed around two steps up and two steps down (like with a sunken living room) would be a LARGE minus.
Dear Listening,

I suggest you consider the Valley of Longevity and the towns around the village of Vilcabamba in Southern Ecuador.

Due to wonderful soil and plentiful rainfall, this area is ideal for growing things .. and has attracted to Vilca healers and energy workers from around the world.

Much English is spoken in Vilcabamba, very little English in the small villages nearby.

The highly-rated clinics/hospitals of Loja can be reached by bus in about an hour.

You can use the search function on the Ecuador forum's welcome page to speed your acquisition of knowledge about Southern Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito
I speak very little Spanish and am looking to rent in an area like Loja or Vilcabamba. Any suggested expat parts of these 2 towns?
Amy
Dear Amy,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of Expat.com...

Vilcabamba has attracted many international types, and though it's a small place, a high percentage of the folks there speak English.

Up the road in Loja, little English is spoken.

When you get to Vilcabamba, your boots-on-the-ground search will reveal what rentals are available.

cccmedia in Quito