Needle in a Hay Stack

Hi guys. I'm Ron. I am currently living in Tasmania, Australia.  I'm used to wide open spaces with grass and trees and plenty of room to throw a ball for the dog.
My partner and I are thinking of moving to the Philippines. She is a Filipina but currently lives in Hong Kong working as an OSW. She has been there for 24 years and has not seen much of the Philippines besides for Marikina and Naval.
We have traveled a few times to the Philippines to such places as Bohol, Cebu, Bantayan Island, and Palawan. Yes, Manila of course.
My Question. What are some of the best provincial options for an Aussie boy who likes to garden and have some space? Would be looking for around 4000 sqm/ Minimum. Also would love a few Aussies around the place for the state of origin. AFL finals and to watch the first day of the Boxing day test.
Within a short walk to a beach would be a bonus. Will settle for poms or yanks as I love the football and Hockey. haha.
Could this be comfortably done on around 3,000000 PHP? or should I continue work at home for a while?
Also, I've had bypass surgery so I would be more comfortable around good medical care.
Thanks, Guys, hope you can give me a bit of guidance.

Tassie bhoy wrote:

Hi guys. I'm Ron. I am currently living in Tasmania, Australia.  I'm used to wide open spaces with grass and trees and plenty of room to throw a ball for the dog.
My partner and I are thinking of moving to the Philippines. She is a Filipina but currently lives in Hong Kong working as an OSW. She has been there for 24 years and has not seen much of the Philippines besides for Marikina and Naval.
We have traveled a few times to the Philippines to such places as Bohol, Cebu, Bantayan Island, and Palawan. Yes, Manila of course.
My Question. What are some of the best provincial options for an Aussie boy who likes to garden and have some space? Would be looking for around 4000 sqm/ Minimum. Also would love a few Aussies around the place for the state of origin. AFL finals and to watch the first day of the Boxing day test.
Within a short walk to a beach would be a bonus. Will settle for poms or yanks as I love the football and Hockey. haha.
Could this be comfortably done on around 3,000000 PHP? or should I continue work at home for a while?
Also, I've had bypass surgery so I would be more comfortable around good medical care.
Thanks, Guys, hope you can give me a bit of guidance.

Hi Ron, welcome to this forum, as there is plenty of info here I would suggest lots of reading and research.
Like you I love the open space and quiet living as we do here on the sunny coast hinterland. we are on 50 acres and it's beautiful but we are finding it harder to maintain especially as time goes on,,,, age.
My Filipino partner is a permanent resident and working in Oz. We decided some years ago to downsize and retire to the Philippines. Having worked in the provinces for two 6 month stints 7 years ago where I met my better half and then living in Manila in a condo for 12 months before moving back to the farm in Oz.
We chose to be near family but half an hours plus drive away. I wanted absolute beach front with an existing house but would settle for a vacant lot and build in the right spot, quiet area away from the main roads but still reasonably close to a good wet market and of course a good hospital. For 3 years we searched and procrastinated as I believed the asking prices were way too high. Patience is indeed a virtue as we found and purchased what we wanted though 10 minutes further north of where we wanted to be but the perfect spot and a good price.

I suppose Ron you have to ask yourselves do you want to be near (easily commutable) your partners family? If so that narrows down your search area, if not then the Philippines is your oyster with a plethora of choices. May I suggest though and others will agree go slowly, check out the areas you are interested in and definitely rent first.
Good luck and we hope you find your answers here. Others will chime in also I'm sure.
BTW we chose Bacnotan La Union some 5 to 6 hours north of Manila.

Cheers Steve

Hi Ron I'm a Tassie boy to. other things to consider is do you want to go to the big smoke (Manila from time to time).
I chose Batangas city about 1 hour 30 min bus ride from Manila. convenient if you need to do business with the embassy or NBI. Plenty of land available near by and good beaches are a short ride away. also has the added advantage of being the Marine Gateway to much of the Philippines. so many ferries to choose from 
Its a port city, not to big and pretty safe.