Initial Negotiation for Job Offer - Linz, Austria

Hi Everyone!

I am Vinay, a Linux Sysadmin from India looking to relocate to Linz, Austria for a possible job and would greatly appreciate any advice and support from each one of you.

Recently, I've been interacting with a company for the role of a Operations Engineer and been told their compensation range for it is between €45.000 and €56.000 gross per annum paid in the form of a 14 month salary, via an initial email.

Now I hope this is before all deductions which give the net salary (They've shared a salary calculator here) but I believe their final offer would be dependent on my skill-set, successful interviews & their impression of me.

I believe I should accept their range (for a start) as they appear to be a company with good career prospects and suitable employee benefits. On the other hand, after some salary research (didn't get much information) I feel I shouldn't confine myself to their range and try negotiating for a higher salary, i.e: €60.000

The confusion?
Since I was unable to determine how much should I be paid and require to revert, I assume a negotiating tone from me would end any chances of me landing an interview, leave alone the job.

While I understand that I don't have the exact salary figures but can someone please advice if the above range (atleast €45.000) is sufficient for a single person with a modest lifestyle involving rent, utilities, groceries, transportation to & from work around the city and the occasional dining out and other leisure activities?  Will I be able to have any substantial monthly savings?

If not, how do I negotiate? Please let me know if any other information is needed.

Kind Regards,
Vinay Hegde

Hi Vijay,
I am based out of Linz and i can certainly relate to your confusion/Dilemma. If i put myself in your shoes, here is what i think
  1. I would look at whether i am comfortable with that money on monthly expenses for me and my family.
  2. I better negotiate as much as possible to get the best out of the situation.
For more you can contact me directly, and may be we can talk.
Thanks and Regards,
~Ravi

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it :)

I would look at whether i am comfortable with that money on monthly expenses for me and my family.

- It'd be just me relocating to Linz and I've researched cost of living there but that'd be an estimate. I'm unsure how much salary would suffice me in reality as it'd be only possible after actually living there for 2-3 months.

I better negotiate as much as possible to get the best out of the situation.

- Any tips on how to achieve this without damaging my chances?

Leaving you a direct message here as well, please check your inbox!

Kind Regards,
Vinay Hegde

Hi Vijay,
Assuming you salary to be 45000/- per year, my estimate is that you will get about ~2800/- in your hand which should be good enough for you on monthly basis but just you alone.

For negotiation of salary, i suggest you would need to sense the employers need and based on that you can negotiate, Generally a hiring manger will have +-10% of budget on hiring, I would say it's worth a try. Also you never ruin you chances of getting hired and this is why it is called negotiation, there is no black and white here.
All the best.
~Ravi

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the quick response! Just FYI - you've misspelled my name as Vijay instead of Vinay.

From your reasoning, I conclude that €45000 yearly is sufficient for me alone so anything upwards of this will surely be the same as well.

Quick question - do I reply to their email with negotiating for a higher package right now itself OR wait until post the interview(s)?

Because I'd rather not be the person who agreed to their range at the start, subsequently cleared all their rounds but was later rejected only for asking slightly more money.

Kind Regards,
Vinay Hegde