Montenegro

I would appreciate any information on expats living in Montenegro, especially the ease of emigrating, getting permanent residence status, buying a car, etc.

Hi DrDuane,

Please note that your thread is now on the Montenegro forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Thanks for the assistance.

Duane

We are US citizens who relocated to Montenegro and have been here 2 years. A few answers.
From what I researched, the main ways to get legal residency is either to 1) buy a home or 2) open a business. Both give you the option to request legal residency. We used a local legal service in our area to navigate the process. Personally, I think it is a good option if you don't speak the language and are not familiar with the process. Feel free to send me private message if you want some referrals.  About cars.. we have not purchased a car, but when we considered it, we were told it is fairly straight forward. I believe it will be similar to the US in that you buy the car, transfer ownership, and make sure you buy the legally required insurance. There is an additional insurance to be able to drive out of the country, usually referred to as a "green card".  If I am wrong on any of the car information, I am sure some more experienced expat members can help.

Montenegro is a beautiful country, and the people have been very welcoming. I usually recommend folks visit before making a commitment to stay. US citizens can stay up to 90 days without any special visa's. A long stay is a nice way to get to know the country and get concrete answers to the many questions that will come up. I would recommend visiting March-May or Sept-Nov.  That is basically before and after tourist high season. There is usually good weather and costs of flights and accommodation would be lower than in summer.

Hope this helps a bit on your research.

Good information, thank you.
We are US citizens, though my significant other is also a Russian citizen.  Our plan is to live in Budva during the winter and St Petersburg, Russia during the summer. We currently live in Florida. We both speak English and Russian so I understand that language will not be a barrier.  I am not yet sure whether we will seek employment, and much depends on the opportunity.

To your success,
Michael

Hello,

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. In what part of Montenegro do you live? we have been looking around Budva, Tivat, and Kotor.  Where do you go to register to receive the 90-day visa upon arrival? Our plan is to visit next summer (2019) for several weeks. It is likely that we will buy property subsequent to arrival at a later date. Information on agents would be very helpful. How have the interactions with the local people been?

Thanks for the assistance.

Michael,
My wife speaks Russian, Ukrainian, and can understand Polish. We are looking at retirement (for me) and playtime for her.

Duane

@DrDuane Hi. I need the same information. And also I need to know how mucho money I need to live there. Or if a can gound a y work.  I am from Cuba.

Zavisi gde odlučite živjet,najevtinije je na sjever crne gore
@amikocomboa4

ENGLISH please as this is an anglophile forum.